Rope fish dying?

Aeval33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2019
I have had a tank my entire life. I started with a 75 gallon that was maintained by my mother for 20+ years. I had it for 10 years before selling it and upgrading to a 200 gallon about 6 months ago. About 3 weeks ago I got 2 rope fish. 1 got out and was eaten by my cat on the 3rd day. I got another about 4 days later. Tonight I got home and one of them “Wiggles” was hanging out in the floating plants with his tail straight down and it looked like he was gasping for air and ignoring the worms I gave him. I thought he might be stuck so I moved the plants and he swam away awkwardly. Like his back end isn’t working. I looked over him closely when he came back to the top and got back in the plants. He has no other signs or symptoms that I can see. No swelling, no discoloration, nothing. Nitrates are 0 ph is 7 and water has plenty of oxygen. Help?1363264

Aeval33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2019
I just realized this was the marine section and I’m reposting in the freshwater section. Sorry

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Sometimes polys deal with trapped air. Causing them to swim erratic. This could be what your dealing with. Do you have a spare tank you can treat him in ? Dosing epsom salt at 1 tbls per 5 gal is the best course of treatment it will help him pass the air. Ive dosed 1tbl per 10 gallon and had success. Its harmless either way

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
You have 0 nitrate that usually means uncycled aquarium. I would test all parameters ammonia and nitrite.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store