Rope fish Floating Issue - Help!!

tfreema

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
Thanks for all the advice!

I have only seen the small guy that is left eat a red wriggler worm. He has ignored them since. They would not touch the bloodworms, talapia, regular or mysis shrimp. I think soaking frozen foods in garlic guard may have been a mistake.

I am going to try to give the little guy a couple small pieces of silversides tonight. He had managed to get into the HOB yesterday. Gave me a scare when I could not find him. That is what the big guy had done a couple weeks ago.

This is the most challenging fish I have ever had. I am determined to get a group of 4 in my 120g.

tfreema

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
Oh, I left out mealworms. Those were actually purchased for the African butterfly fish that are in the same quarantine tank since I bought them together and they were from the same supplier to lfs. As some sank to bottom, ropefish started eating them up right away. I was very excited to see them eating but now wonder if insect larvae as their main food source was bad. Should I have been more patient and kept trying the talapia and shrimp I started out with?? I just learned about silversides.

tfreema

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
Lower the water level so they are not tempted to swim up the output.
I thought of that, but was also trying to keep the surface calmer for the African butterfly fish. Lowering the water will churn it up pretty good. I can try it and see how they do since the filter is in one side giving them the other end for calmer waters.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Ive fed ropes bugs in the past and they were fine. But with my current noodle bowl I feed mostly pellets and tilapia. They are super healthy atm.

Reactions: tfreema

tfreema

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
Well, he ignored the 2 very small red wriggler worms and two very small pieces of silverside, but gobbled up the one piece of mealworm that escaped the African butterfly fish. Ugh!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store