Ropefish and haul outs

Rougarou

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2022
I frequently read that Ropefish(not sure about other Bichirs) like to have the ability to haul out of the water onto land occasionally. What is the consensus on setting something up to allow them to do this?

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I think that if they do that, it's to either find food or to possibly escape undesirable water conditions in search of better ones. Either way...your captive ropefish should not have these concerns. If they are well fed and well maintained, I would bet that they will never use such facilities.

Fish...even lung-breathers like ropefish or walking cats...are unlikely to go for a stroll just for a breath of fresh air. :)

Build something and try it...keep us posted, please!

Rougarou

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2022
I think that if they do that, it's to either find food or to possibly escape undesirable water conditions in search of better ones. Either way...your captive ropefish should not have these concerns. If they are well fed and well maintained, I would bet that they will never use such facilities.

Fish...even lung-breathers like ropefish or walking cats...are unlikely to go for a stroll just for a breath of fresh air. :)

Build something and try it...keep us posted, please!
Well, here's the story behind the question. I'm in the process of adding new plants to my tanks. Usually when I do this, I will buy my plants one day, and put them in the tank and let them float around until I drop the water level for the weekly water change, and then plant them. So, the last couple of weeks there have been plants floating around for several days, and on occasion I've seen a tail hanging down from the floating plants. This makes me wonder if they have an inclination to occasionally breach. I might put in a turtle dock to see what happens. Will keep posted.

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Floating plants give the ropes a great and comfortable spot to rest at the surface. Easy access to air for a breath...probably a good chance of catching a small fish or insect in the greenery...and concealment. But...right at the surface is still a considerably different thing than actually out of the water.

It's like sitting in a lounger on the dock down at the cottage. You're enjoying the lake...but you're not actually in the lake...

Looking forward to hearing developments! :)

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
I have water sprite in a tank where I have rope fish and bichirs and yes from time to time they do swim into the plants and hang out there and yow will see the tail hanging out of the plants as the weather is so hot in the uk at the moment I have the lids open while I am in the room and none make any attenpts to get out. In this picture you can see one of my senegals doing what the rope fish do

20220824_175814.jpg

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Just like jjohnwm jjohnwm said they like to be near the surface not out of the water. I have potted marginal plants in my poly pond and the rope fish love to sit on the top of the slightly submerged pots. Easy access to air and food. In the wild it's thought that females like to hang out in similar situations, where the males tend to dwell deeper in the water. I have 14 or so...(haven't counted in a while might be more I've lost track lol) I know 6 of them are female and it's these that tend to hang out on the pots.

Rougarou

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2022
Yes, you can see him up there! It's endlessly cool when they do stuff like this. I'll have to give them some floating plants, and see what they do with them.

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
woild say about 16+ inches 8 years old I have 3 one bigger than the one in the photo and one a bit smaller

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store