Ropefish Community Pond?

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
I know how ridiculous this sounds. Well, I have a metre square pond that is a foot in height. The idea is that I will not mesh the pond during the day for instance when I am around, however in the event that I will be gone, presumably at night, the pond will be left meshed.

The pond is stocked with swordtails, corydoras and rainbowfish. Is there even the slightest possibility of squeezing in a small bichir like palmas polli or perhaps a delhezi? Or would they make a short snack out of the catfish?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
No problem when they are small but will eventually eat those fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
If you keep them well fed you should be fine for the foreseeable future, but the larger they get the higher the chance it starts eating them gets

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
I know how ridiculous this sounds. Well, I have a metre square pond that is a foot in height. The idea is that I will not mesh the pond during the day for instance when I am around, however in the event that I will be gone, presumably at night, the pond will be left meshed.

The pond is stocked with swordtails, corydoras and rainbowfish. Is there even the slightest possibility of squeezing in a small bichir like palmas polli or perhaps a delhezi? Or would they make a short snack out of the catfish?
Personal opinion they will get eat prov within 2 months or 3 tops bichirs and small fish do not get along.... But u should just make it a bichir pond all together;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ironman1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
San Antonio
I've actually housed a senegal with corys for over a year now and it hasnt tried to nibble on the corys. mainly because the corys stays away and is to fast but i think if the the fish are wider than the bichirs mouth you'll be fine. the swordtails and the rainbow fish i have no idea how long theyll last

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
I can't risk the bichirs taking a munch on the cories. Cory spines and bichir throats don't mix. I will probably play it safe for now unless there is a tried and tested way of weaning bichirs off fish. Which I doubt.

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
Okay how about retropinnis, mokes or teugelsi?

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
First 2 IMO should be fine as they are the 2 shyest species and least likely to eat anything else. They also stay somewhat smaller compared to everything else. Thr Teugelsi on the other hand will quickly outgrow the fish and might eat them. I'd say your best bet would be ropes, mokes, and retros

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store