RTC and TSN Information

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Can I post about other RTC hybrids? I would really LOVE to know a bit about them.

Chad

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Chad55;931488; said:
Can I post about other RTC hybrids? I would really LOVE to know a bit about them.

Chad
I'd say if you want to post on here about rtc or tsn hybrids go ahead since they go hand in hand, and many members like myself zooyork, and stotty have kept many of these hybrids or will in the future hehe!

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Ben_Jam_In;931567; said:
is a 125 to small for a rtc or a tsn
This is the debate of much controversy. Many on here have expressed their opinions that they would rather see it go to a 125 gal rather than have it go in some kids first 10 or 20 gal tank. The problem is that if cared for and fed properly your fish may well exceed the 2ft. mark in less than a year to a year and a half. That leaves little room for the fish to turn around in a 125 gal. Also you would need a massive wet dry to keep a rtc in that sized tank for any period of time. You'd probably be safe for 2 years but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. I'd say it's an awesome starter tank for young rtc, and you will eventually need to upgrade to between 750-1000 gals for your cat to turn comfortably as an adult. If they can't turn comfortably they tend to develope leasions, and broken fin spines, and may develope black blood desiese due to high nitrates, and may eventually die. Go big as possible, but I know others will say just do it to spare the fish dying in a 10 or 20 gal. A cheaper alternative would be a stock through used as a heated indoor pond, or a metal framed kiddie pool. Many members including myself use these ase a cheap alternative to spending mega $ks on housing our fish. Trust me a 1000 gal tank will dent even some big pockets. On the other hand a metal framed 1100 gal kiddie pool that I have cycling costed me just $100. Can't beat that it's cheaper than most brand new 55gal tanks. Plus the price of a homeade filter. Check out the diy section, and indoor pond section for more info. Hope this helps!

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Ok well then can anybody tell me all they know about the RTCxMarble cat hybrid. I absolutly love these and have wanted one forever and may have the chance now. Anybody have ANY kind of info on them? Does hybrid vigor play a role in these bad boys?

Chad

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
I'll find out on thursday! I just know that they have been around for some years now, but they are rarely seen in the hobby. Don't know much about them except that they can get huge. They keep the spotted pattern into adulthood, and the tail has a redish tint.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
How big we talking? Like same size as RTCxTSN or bigger or what?

Chad

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
maybe not quit that big, but I have seen pics of them at the 2'-3' mark.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
necrocanis;932648; said:
maybe not quit that big, but I have seen pics of them at the 2'-3' mark.
Fine by me. You think they will go past 4'?

Chad

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Not sure, haven't found any members with them, but me and maybe you and some other guys I guess are getting them so let's see what we can do with them. I am hoping they will get to more than 4'. lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store