RTC and TSN Information

liontammer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2006
fish cave
the best thing i can say is think of it this way your cat fish will tell you if it is not happy it all depends on how long and wide the tank is your talking a fish that in time and proper care will hit almost 3 feet + so you will know when you have to upgread to a bigger tank tsn and rtc alike will need a tank with a foot print of atlest 48" to 60" wide and 8' + long to live a happy life

Sarertnoc Kram

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2012
Las Vegas
Thinking of starting one of these for the TSN when we move in a few months how big should it be for him to be housed for life this one is about 8x4 or 9X5 the water is maybe a foot deep in this one. Not my photo

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1352009749.465198.jpg

monsterbichir671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
guam
hi I have a hybrid catfish( RTCxTSC)! I have no experience with this fish and since i bought it a week ago it grows very little. Since its in a 10gal rather then in my 100gal! any suggestions? Thank you

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Thinking of starting one of these for the TSN when we move in a few months how big should it be for him to be housed for life this one is about 8x4 or 9X5 the water is maybe a foot deep in this one. Not my photo

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
That's awesome. Looks like what I might be planing to do for my room in the place I am staying in so that I can keep some bigger catfish. Planing on using the last 1' of mine as straight through sump filter. Since it will be on the same level will not have to worry about it overflowing if there is a power outage. This set up looks awesome though. Was going to make mine 2' deep. 2' deep seems to be fine for even really big catfish. An adult ID shark or other highly active mid to top range catfish will not like it very much though and might jump ship. Mine would have a cover on it though and would only be opened during feedings, cleanings, and to measure and photograph the fish.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
In my expirience a rtc of 1" starting length will grow maybe 1" in the first week with clean water and plety of food. Their growth rate decreases as they grow larger. you might get a good 3" of growth the first month, and another 2.5" the second month. By the time it is 12" long you will maybe get 1.5" to 2" per month again with perfect water params and plenty of food. When they hit about 18" you will be lucky to see 1-1.5" of growth a month, then when they are over 2' you're lucky to get .5" to 1" per month. Once they hit 2.5' they might grow about .25" to .5" per month. They will grow their entire lives but you get diminishing returns over time. They will bulk more than they grow longer as they reach adulthood. You may only get a few mm per month after 3'. You are talking years to get from 3' to 4'. Not really trying to say anyone on here is wrong just saying this is what I have observed. Just imagine how long it took the RTC that have been caught over 4.5' in the wild to grow to those sizes!!!!! The rare few that make it over 5' in the wild are true monsters!!!!! Decades to get to massive sizes over 4'. Let's see who on MFK can do it and do it well!!!!

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
That's awesome. Looks like what I might be planing to do for my room in the place I am staying in so that I can keep some bigger catfish. Planing on using the last 1' of mine as straight through sump filter. Since it will be on the same level will not have to worry about it overflowing if there is a power outage. This set up looks awesome though. Was going to make mine 2' deep. 2' deep seems to be fine for even really big catfish. An adult ID shark or other highly active mid to top range catfish will not like it very much though and might jump ship. Mine would have a cover on it though and would only be opened during feedings, cleanings, and to measure and photograph the fish.
Also I'm not sure that a pond like that will last for life. Will last many years though.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana

davion2183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
Indonesia
Great info guys!Anyways, anyone here keeps their adult RTC in indoor ponds, and how child-safe are they? And are they interactive with their owners? Would a TSN or RTC be a better first monster catfish for a new monster catfish keeper?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store