Rtc/tsn hybrid ich

SomethingPhishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018
Catfish should be fine with salt at ~3% and heat at 86degrees. 50% water changes as suggested and replace the amount salt removed won’t the water. Patience (over 10 days) and water changes will get it better.
How much salt would you recommend for a 40 breeder then? With my math I get roughly 1.5 lbs of salt. Also read it's good to put it in the filters so it dissolves slower too. Would you agree?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If it’s plain salt then 3 rounds of 1 tsp per gallon about 6hrs apart. Adding it this way will increase little by little also.

If it’s rock salt then duanes duanes knows that dosing a bit better. Yes adding to sump or filter will help it to dissolve slowly.

SomethingPhishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018
If it’s plain salt then 3 rounds of 1 tsp per gallon about 6hrs apart. Adding it this way will increase little by little also.

If it’s rock salt then duanes duanes knows that dosing a bit better. Yes adding to sump or filter will help it to dissolve slowly.
Most likely would be aquarium salt.

SomethingPhishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018
hello; In one of the threads I left a link for it was suggested about 3 &1/2 pounds of salt for around 100 gallons if I recall correctly.
Yea that's where I got it from thank you for that. I just saw that tank didn't have catfish so I got a lil worried with the salt part.

SomethingPhishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018

So before even adding salt I noticed this almost like fungus growing on him also. What the heck is going on?KIMG0339.JPG

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hard to say but don’t see fungus. Would cont with salt and heat. Do water changes. Looks sickly. Is it eating?

SomethingPhishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018
Catfish should be fine with salt at ~3% and heat at 86degrees. 50% water changes as suggested and replace the amount salt removed won’t the water. Patience (over 10 days) and water changes will get it better.
But I also hear with it being a cat to do 2 tablespoons per gallon. Which is a little less putting it closer to the .2% vs the .3% just in case. But would that much make a difference tho? After some research and seeing how tough the redtails are especially when hybrid with tiger Shovelnose are very hardy against almost anything even salt and meds just not the 2 mixed together. So I'm thinking of just going with the .3%. he's already in rough shape as it is tho so I don't want to push it. So I think I'm just gonna do 10-20 tablespoons every hour. That way it's more slowly aclimating him to brackish water basically. But I'm also using aquarium salt so I'm thinking of just putting it in place of my carbon and biomedia in the filter.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; After looking at the picture it is not clear to me what the problem may be. I can see why you thought of ich but the spots seem a bit large for ich. I guess the fish is small but still I am not so sure. Even on a guppy the ich spots look tiny.
That you mention a fungus like also adds a complication.
Is there any way the spots seen in the photo are part of the coloration on the fish. I usually look for ich spots on the clear portions of a fin.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store