S. Eupterus Questions

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
I have a group of 5 Eupterus and I have a few questions. Can anybody that has kept them give input on max size? From what I'm reading the max size in tanks is 8 in and the max size is 11 or 12 in in the wild. Can they surpass 8 in in a tank? Because I have one that is either at that mark or close to it and it doesn't seem like its going to stop. Also, do I need to regulate how much their eating? I have one that has a gut that is bigger then the fish is long. If so, how can I do that? They are being kept in my 125 cichlid tank, and just scavenge whatever is left over.
I had an eruptus that grew larger than 8" in my 300 gallon a few years ago. I had it in there with big ornate and endlicheri bichirs, a big clown knife, large clown loaches, large blue botia loaches, a school of silver dollars, severums, and a 9" thin-bar dat. No problems at all.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I had an eruptus that grew larger than 8" in my 300 gallon a few years ago. I had it in there with big ornate and endlicheri bichirs, a big clown knife, large clown loaches, large blue botia loaches, a school of silver dollars, severums, and a 9" thin-bar dat. No problems at all.
Sounds like a tank worthy of checking out :) Got a thread on it??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store