SA/CA Cichlid stocking advice.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Oh yeah, that's probably the perfect setup for my house. My response was in regards to the fact I don't think I could go much larger than 125. I'm actually doing this project as a birthday present to myself. I'll be 20 in July so I figured I'd do something special for myself haha.

Cool enjoy your bday

Reactions: Aquamaniac96

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
I personally would not do a sump, but then again thats just me. I only do sumps for Saltwater (actually reef only).

Also, as far as going with an FX6, if you're going to do that, do yourself a favor and DONT use sand, OR get yourself a really good PRE-FILTER sponge to put on the intake, as sand and FX's DONT MIX WELL (impeller destruction).

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/PreFilter.html

Another option would be 2- Sunsun/Aquatops 304/404B models, or like I prefer to do and practice, two HOB's(for mechanical) and 1 canister for BIO ONLY(with prefilters on ALL if using sand).

Best of luck, and glad you're coming back to the hobby!

Aquamaniac96

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2016
Yeah I definitely will get a prefilter. I was thinking about a canister and a hob or two. And prefilters too. I'll look into the the sunsun/aquatops. For hob filters I was looking at the Marineland 350b Penguins with the biowheels. They seem like a good deal for the price.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
You can do an AC 110 for like $60 from bed bath and beyond website with a 15% off coupon they apparently give out like candy...

Aquamaniac96

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2016
Hahaha talk about innovative. I would have never thought about bed bath and beyond to get a filter. I have more questions now. It regards feeding. Is there such a thing as too much variety? And has anyone had success with diy foods? I was thinking about Hikari Gold, NLS, Spirulina, brine shrimp babies, freeze dried bloodworms, maybe the occasional earthworm after I clean it out, feeder fish if I breed them or find a reliable source, maybe peas/cucumber/beef heart. I tried a diy recipe before, the fish loved it, but the jello didn't set well so when I used it my aquarium would get super cloudy.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
What size FW tanks do you have? this sump or not to sump decision depends on what size tank you're talking about. Although FW tanks don't have skimmers that need constant water level to work right, sumps turn out to be the most efficient way to filter big tanks. Why run 4-5 canister filters on a 400 gallon tank? Just build a sump for 1/4 of the price.

I personally would not do a sump, but then again thats just me. I only do sumps for Saltwater (actually reef only).

Aquamaniac96

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2016
All I have is my 10 gallon right now. I might have access to my old 55 gallon. I might be able to but the 125 by next week. My think about the sumps is I don't want to do something hard to take down. Also this setup will be on carpet so the risk of the sump overfilling and ruining the carpet kinda scares me. Nothing is set in stone yet though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store