sa/ca cichlids

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Dan that those are your best bet as far as Central Americans go, most others of middle America get too large for a 75. And I wouldn't mix Central and South Americans because the Centrals are (in general) much more aggressive, except the ones Dan mentioned.
If you want strictly South Americans, you have a much larger group of options, anything from the cool water cichlids of southern South America (such as Gymnogeophaus or some Australoheros, to many warm water species of the north like Guianacara, will remain small enough for that size tank.
I consider Oscars or other large South Americans, too large for such a small tank.
Cryptoheros nanoluteus

HRPs

Gymnogeophagus

Guianacara, with a young pike cichlid (some of the dwarf pikes would work in a 75)

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
ty for the info and what about pair of jack demseys?
Personally I think a 75 is a little too small for a pair of JDs.
Breeding males can be hard on females and a 75 does not allow the female to distance it's self from the male.
Lots of people on the forum may disagree and say larger species will be ok.
I think the advice given by Dan and Duanes is spot on and you could do far worse than follow their advice.
I understand the temptation to keep the bigger species but in smaller tanks it more often than not leads to lots of aggro and headaches.
There are also lots of small West African cichlids you could keep.
These smaller cichlids also have the benefit of being able to keep them with small tetras and catfish.These tanks can often be more interesting long term than just 1 or 2 bigger cichlids.

Reactions: Toiletcar

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I say the thorichthys like firemouths, but I'm bias lol. Sajica would be nice, so would HRP. Add some schooling fish like tetras, barbs and/or livebarers. It would make for a colorful and active tank.

Aquatank

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 30, 2017
california
aquatank134.wixsite.com
Hi everyone my ? is i was thinking about getting a 75 gallon tank what kind of cichlids would u put in there?
Hey hi man i think you should go with the most famous cichlid in the aquarium trade that are the majestic "Oscars".
This is because they have a very wide selection of colours that are in oscars and they are very friendly with their owners.
you could head to my youtube channel "aquatank boys" where i have made a special video aout types of oscars and their general behavior. And the last thing they grow monster with some proper diet and care given to them.

Reactions: cichlidman1972

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Hey hi man i think you should go with the most famous cichlid in the aquarium trade that are the majestic "Oscars".
This is because they have a very wide selection of colours that are in oscars and they are very friendly with their owners.
you could head to my youtube channel "aquatank boys" where i have made a special video aout types of oscars and their general behavior. And the last thing they grow monster with some proper diet and care given to them.
Personally don't think Oscars should be kept in a 75 gal

Aquatank

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 30, 2017
california
aquatank134.wixsite.com
Hey Dan I know that but there are other captive breed species of Oscars that I have kept and I know that they grow pretty good in them.Its just matter of fact that people think they are no able to thrive in those aquariums

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store