Salminus Franciscanus (Golden Dorado)

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Did the lazy man fish keeper routine. E-mailed Wes Sunday...got a box of fish delivered to my door steps Tuesday. Dorados eating pellets moments after release into the tank. Almost broke out a sweat.
They were a little bigger than I expected 5"-5.5"

These guys are lightning fast and loves the high current. Swims as a schoal. Surprisingly will take floating and sinking pellets. They like to dig their nose into the gravel in search of food.

I plan to put updates on this thread.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Nice to see you've got them, look forward to your updates :)
Thanks man. I know you have knowledge about them. Any good advice?
So little time...so many different fishes out there. Let's not waste time.

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Thanks man. I know you have knowledge about them. Any good advice?
So little time...so many different fishes out there. Let's not waste time.
Well from what I know they aren't hard to get off of live or sensitive. The only problem anyone ever reports about them is that they're bullies. They bully the meanest of fish including aimara. The reason they can is their speed. And they're brute of course with a bunch of small sharp teeth. Arapaimag reports the most suitable tankmate he found for them are brycron, and I'd believe it as they are found together in the wild. You can watch videos on YouTube and see them pester shoals of fish almost, you can tell they're feared. They'll swim through it with no aggressive movements but the shoal quickly spreads to get away. Their growth rate doesn't slow until a little over a foot AFAIK. Anything you need to know I haven't covered? Lol.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
How many did you pick up? Really looking forward to this.
Looking forward to this growth thread.
Well from what I know they aren't hard to get off of live or sensitive. The only problem anyone ever reports about them is that they're bullies. They bully the meanest of fish including aimara. The reason they can is their speed. And they're brute of course with a bunch of small sharp teeth. Arapaimag reports the most suitable tankmate he found for them are brycron, and I'd believe it as they are found together in the wild. You can watch videos on YouTube and see them pester shoals of fish almost, you can tell they're feared. They'll swim through it with no aggressive movements but the shoal quickly spreads to get away. Their growth rate doesn't slow until a little over a foot AFAIK. Anything you need to know I haven't covered? Lol.
I will definitely post progress as I normally do in all the fish I keep. All five of them are in a 225g.
moe214 moe214 , great info and very comforting to know that I didn't get some girly fish. Just the way I like it.

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Definitely not a girly fish ;). I hope to keep one some day with a few other non girly fish lol

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Had them for 5 days now. Very healthy and active. Non-stop swimming and fast. They are eating machines. I've never had small fish eating that much. Feeding them pellets only.
They like to dash into the high current as a group. They do periodically hang out in the no current zone. We'll see if aggression towards each other builds as some have experienced.
What I also noticed is their ability to heal fast. Split fins/tails during shipping are all gone today. I actually drop one twice onto the concrete while putting them in the tank.

My first video.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
What is your long term plan for them beyond the current tank? They apparently grow really fast and will look amazing in school, if they school. Really enjoyed your prior thread for the Travely(sp?). Any idea what size tank you need for 5 that are ~2ft?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store