Want to Buy salmon tail catfish

zapatower

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Are you refering to redtail catfish Phractocephalus hemioliopterus ? Where are you from? You remember that it isn't the place to put your demand...but you are newbie, no problem. Welcome to this community!!!

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Why would he be referring to a Redtail catfish? Red and salmon are not even close.
I am assuming he means this fish

Regrettably he last logged on may 7th so he likely won’t see this.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Why would he be referring to a Redtail catfish? Red and salmon are not even close.
I am assuming he means this fish

Regrettably he last logged on may 7th so he likely won’t see this.
Any idea why they are called salmontail catfish? Lol to me they look almost like a pictus cat just without the spots or stripes and a darker grey body color.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Not a clue my friend.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
They are also called "shark cats" in some shops, it seems a more suitable name based on appearance. They get a lot bigger than a pictus cat. Big healthy ones are rare but impressive. I had some in a 2 foot tank shamefully, it was back I need the 90s when I was 15 and didn't know any better.
I actually replied to this post with some shops in Melbourne that had them but the post vanished for some reason. They aren't hard to find here at all.
Would be a cool Aussie themed monster tank with a few barramundi and jardini and some of these cruising around.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
They are also called "shark cats" in some shops, it seems a more suitable name based on appearance. They get a lot bigger than a pictus cat. Big healthy ones are rare but impressive. I had some in a 2 foot tank shamefully, it was back I need the 90s when I was 15 and didn't know any better.
I actually replied to this post with some shops in Melbourne that had them but the post vanished for some reason. They aren't hard to find here at all.
Would be a cool Aussie themed monster tank with a few barramundi and jardini and some of these cruising around.
Yeah I'd definitely agree with them looking allot more like sharks. Aren't catfish very distantly related to sharks anyways tho? Could have sworn I remember somebody telling me that before.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Yeah I'd definitely agree with them looking allot more like sharks. Aren't catfish very distantly related to sharks anyways tho? Could have sworn I remember somebody telling me that before.
I think its something to do with cartlidge instead of bones but for these fish I think the shark cat name is just based on appearance. Some larger ones in an appropriate sized tanks do resemble sharks prowling around. I had mine in a weird tank that was just under 3 foot by 3 foot and 1 foot high that I used to keep axolotls in. The cats did endless laps of it all day long. I used to catch wild mosquito fish for them to hunt, the fun of being young and ignorant, if the fish were card for appropriately they probably would be still alive and 2 feet long by now.
Funnily enough one of our LFS has them on special this weekend as they have too many of them.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

qldmick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
I think they are usually Neoarius graeffei
here's a vid, you can see the shark kind of look they have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store