Aug 16, 2005
California
never done it and would try with feeders and i flot befor adding

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
I used to do the float/drip method for like 45minutes, now I can't be bothered. Just float it for 10/15 then quickly net them out. I've never had a problem.

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
i have done it before,
i dip them for about 10 minutes for ick
works great!
same for saltwater, but reversed
freshwater dip!

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I use a strong salt dip for wild caught natives going into a nonnative tank and for feeders, otherwise just as treatment for disease

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Prophylactic treatment
What is it ?
Simply put its a preventative step,Its purpose is to prevent any disease or parasitc transmission between newly aquired fish and established tankmates.
Why?
Should it be considered? well in the case of fish of an unknown source since many species are still wild caught they may harbor parasitic organisms it is for this reason a prophylactic treatments may be considered.
What's involved?
SALT BATH
First, give them a prophylactic salt bath right in the transfer bucket. Separately dissolve 5 tablespoons of common salt (NaCl) per gallon of water. Add 1/3 the solution to the transfer bucket, wait ten minutes and add another 1/3 wait 10 minutes add the other 1/3 . Keep an eye on the new fish and remove any at the first signs of distress. Leave them covered in the bucket for a further 15 to 30 minutes.Many public aquaiums widely use a saltwater dip for all their new freshwater arrivals, at full-strength salinity (35 parts per thousand), for ten minutes. A major reminder is that common salt (NaCl) doesn't affect the pH buffer, but "Marine" salt and so-called "Aquarium" salt do. A change in pH, rather than the salt itself, accounts for most of the stress in a salt dip,If your fish do show acute stress you'd remove it,Net them out and transfer them to the Q Tank. Hopefully they should have left behind most of or all their external parasites.(this will not eliminateencysted parasites)Then, give the new arrivals 24 to 48 hours to settle down. Give them time to recover from stresses, get some color, and get their respiration rate back to normal, while you examine them.
CHEMICAL
The first treatment in the Q Tank should be an anti-helminthic (anti-nematode) treatment for intestinal parasites.I use "JUNGLE LABS PARASITE CLEAR'' or "JUNGLE LABS PARASITE GUARD" both contain broad spectrum anti-helminthic (anti-nematode) at recommended dosage this should elimanate any internal or external parasites.While there are other drugs I haven't used them and the ones listed are available online from the major suppliers-Anne

Sources include TFH, April 1998

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
everytime i would do a dip
weather it was salt dip or freshwater dip
i would keep an air stone in the water for more aeration :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com