salt nooby question

BMUR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Canada
thanks guys,i have read alot of your posts and you guys seem to know your stuff very well.im going to look around at some LFS for a deal on a bare tank,i like doing projects so i really want to build my own sump. ill see what they have for power heads as well and will probably go with 4 of them like you guys suggested.i`ll post pics along the way for sure and probably more questions

any suggestions on lighting? i was looking at a 72" HQI/t5 marineland pro series

dgk9723

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2009
Murylend
$1200, I hope you will get your moneys worth. Aquatraders.com has a 72'' hqi/t5 also and the marineland is pumping 762watts while the other is 1070watts for $399. Compare them and let us know

thisissimple

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2010
Los Angeles
I like pendant lights: killer adjustability, low heat transfer, great distribution. and for the price you are talking about, you could get a pretty sweet setup.

three of these would run you $900 from marine depot. I run a 6' long 180gal with 2 400 watt halides and it is plenty for anything. 2 reflectors cost about $320 and 2 ballasts cost about the same add two good ushio bulbs and you are good to go for like $800. The beauty part of this system, is that you can go down to 250 watts just by buying new bulbs and turning down the ballast.

There are cheaper ways to do this, but not too many ways to do it cheaper and better IMO. If you shop around and call people, you can probably find this stuff a little cheaper yet. I am not endorsing Marine Depot, just using their website as an example.

BMUR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Canada
dgk9723;4909490; said:
$1200, I hope you will get your moneys worth. Aquatraders.com has a 72'' hqi/t5 also and the marineland is pumping 762watts while the other is 1070watts for $399. Compare them and let us know
wow man what a difference in price! is this a quality brand? thanks alot,im going to look into some of the reviews but this seems like a very good deal!

BMUR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Canada
thisissimple;4909591; said:
I like pendant lights: killer adjustability, low heat transfer, great distribution. and for the price you are talking about, you could get a pretty sweet setup.

three of these would run you $900 from marine depot. I run a 6' long 180gal with 2 400 watt halides and it is plenty for anything. 2 reflectors cost about $320 and 2 ballasts cost about the same add two good ushio bulbs and you are good to go for like $800. The beauty part of this system, is that you can go down to 250 watts just by buying new bulbs and turning down the ballast.

There are cheaper ways to do this, but not too many ways to do it cheaper and better IMO. If you shop around and call people, you can probably find this stuff a little cheaper yet. I am not endorsing Marine Depot, just using their website as an example.
thanks for the info ,i almost like these better ,would 3 250w be good for my 6ft? also this might sound dumb but r the leds replaceable?and this would be all the lighting i would need correct?

BMUR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Canada
dgk9723;4910781; said:
The pendents would be nice. Maybe a canopy or an clean open look would look nice.
ya think thats what im going to go with,thanks for all the help guys!!

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
BMUR;4909861; said:
thanks for the info ,i almost like these better ,would 3 250w be good for my 6ft? also this might sound dumb but r the leds replaceable?and this would be all the lighting i would need correct?
Yes this would be great for your setup and let you do pretty much anything you want.

The LED's are replaceable.

This would be all you would need to grow some good stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store