Salt residue on tank

crav

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2017
I was setting up a new tank. Right now, it's only water (and the salt I added), and a HOB filter (no media in it) to mix the salt. Nothing more in it.
I put in the needed salt amount, incrementally, before christmas. Left the HOB filter on. After 2 or 3 days, the water became clear, no cloudiness and no residues on the bottom. I travelled for a week and came back. The water is still clear, but there's some residue (like a powder, not exactly white) deposited on the bottom. What can it be?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I was setting up a new tank. Right now, it's only water (and the salt I added), and a HOB filter (no media in it) to mix the salt. Nothing more in it.
I put in the needed salt amount, incrementally, before christmas. Left the HOB filter on. After 2 or 3 days, the water became clear, no cloudiness and no residues on the bottom. I travelled for a week and came back. The water is still clear, but there's some residue (like a powder, not exactly white) deposited on the bottom. What can it be?

Salt Creep

crav

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2017
Salt Creep
That's out of the water, on the rim of the tank, etc. What I'm talking about is on the bottom of the tank, inside it, submerged (as if it was little bits of sand). From what I gather, something "decanted" from the salt mix after being dissolved.

What worries me is that might indicate that the salt is not of good quality, or something got in the water. Or maybe it's a normal ocurrence, but it's the first time I mix salt like this, in a clear container, with nothing else in it, for a prolonged time.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
That's out of the water, on the rim of the tank, etc. What I'm talking about is on the bottom of the tank, inside it, submerged (as if it was little bits of sand). From what I gather, something "decanted" from the salt mix after being dissolved.

What worries me is that might indicate that the salt is not of good quality, or something got in the water. Or maybe it's a normal ocurrence, but it's the first time I mix salt like this, in a clear container, with nothing else in it, for a prolonged time.
That could be possible of what you stated may have to mix and let salt mix dissolve longer I would mix salt in a 38 gal rubber made garbage can and let sit covered until I was ready to do a wc.

Reactions: crav

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If your fish are not affected by it I wouldn't worry but check your salinity level.

Atomic081

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2017
This is common in saltwater tanks that are bare bottom. Its just sediment. if you have enough flow it should all go away.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Some times under certain circumstances calcium can precipitate out of the water which would leave a white film. Could be possible.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store