Salvini ... piranha45's salvini!

Bigdat

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2005
Florida
GTS said:
The only male salvini that I have seen that can match the color of a female sal is mattimeos old male.

Check out the South Florida shots in the photo gallery. The wild males down here average 6 inches and look everybit as good as the females; in and out of breeding color. I will admit that a highly colored female might occasionally have an entirely red underside while I haven't seen a male like that.

Males are generally more colorful and impressive otherwise. Females tend to be half the bulk of a male....which is why my pbass can and do eat the females and all I have are frightened males!(GGGGG)

To me, the ones I see in shops are inbred. They look neither like the wild fish of today or the one's we bred thirty years ago. When the Florida wilds are bred they produce the same colored fish as the parents.

The attached photo should have a male salvini in the background.

Marc

EPSN0005.JPG

View attachment 1097372

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
Very nice,

The cichla are very nice too.

phene4grene420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
york, pa
well since we're on the topic of digital cameras.....i bought a samsung about 2 years ago, cost me $140.....went back to the store a week later to buy a memory card (camera only held 8mb).....bought a 512mb mem. card.......****in bastard cost $199. nowadays those cards are only like $40-50, if that!

GTS

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Tampa,Fl
Bigdat said:
Check out the South Florida shots in the photo gallery. The wild males down here average 6 inches and look everybit as good as the females; in and out of breeding color. I will admit that a highly colored female might occasionally have an entirely red underside while I haven't seen a male like that.

Males are generally more colorful and impressive otherwise. Females tend to be half the bulk of a male....which is why my pbass can and do eat the females and all I have are frightened males!(GGGGG)

To me, the ones I see in shops are inbred. They look neither like the wild fish of today or the one's we bred thirty years ago. When the Florida wilds are bred they produce the same colored fish as the parents.

The attached photo should have a male salvini in the background.

Marc

I am very aware of how nice the male sals from the canals down there look as I have caught my fair share of them in the canals. :thumbsup:

However not one them can match mattimeos old male who was a tankbred specimen. Here is a pic of him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store