Sand Nightmare HELP!?!?!?

Aqua Sanctuary

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
The Internet
www.myspace.com
ok guys im trying to get my 75 gallon going.

I bought 2 bags of play sand from Lowes and washed it in a bucket.
I ran the water and stirred the sand and rand the water until it was crystal clear.

Ok so I washed all the sand then when I put it in the aquarium water it is very cloudy.
Is this normal? I washed the hell out of this sand and the water in my bucket was clear.

Am I doing something wrong or will my cascade 1500 eventually get rid of it?

play sand is verrrrrry dirty I might add coming fresh from the bag.
.........takes lots of washing

ken 429

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2007
central florida
it will clear up.try putting a pre filter on your filter intake to keep sand out of your filter and ruining your impeller.also try using pool filter sand its much cleaner.

ziggy2

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
IL
I agree with the above, but if you don't have fish in the tank, turn the filter off and let the sand settle first. It doesn't take long.

scadarette

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
louisiana
give it 2/3 days and stop worrying, it will clear up.

upaquariest

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
Houghton MI
also be careful when you add water, that will stir the sand up, I had the same experience when I started my 55 I washed the sand forever and it was still cloudy but it took less then a week and its been crystal clear ever since. Use the prefilter and if you have it pack all kinds of filter floss in your filter.

Greenaveli

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2006
Ny to Fl and Back Again
I like the pool filter sand much cleaner

skiptomyzoo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
you can also buy drops (cant recall the name), which will weigh down the sand with bacteria that would otherwise take a while to form, i had the same problem and it worked within hours.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store