Sand size and depth for geos

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Depth may not be crital, but the grain size of Pool Filter Sand, has worked for me.
The sand below, is what I prefer to use in all cichlid tanks (including Geophagines).
1602935393273.png
The tank in the pics had about 1" ( @ 50lb bag of PFS in a 6 ft tank).
I usually bought mine from a company the sold abrasives for water treatment plants at $5 per 50 lb bag.
1602935533163.png

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
1602935957340.png
I chose Pool filter sand because it has small enough grain size to mimic natural habitat, but also be heavy enough to not easily get sucked into filters which a very fine grain sand (like play sand) could, and ruin impellers.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I mostly use pool filter sand, one tank has Eco-Complete cichlid sand-- my geos get the pool filter sand. I've read contradictory things on preferences or grain size for different types (pool sand vs. play sand, etc.). I've seen some people complain play sand is too fine, floats too much when it's stirred up, meaning more can get in your filter. My pool sand has different size grains, including some larger grains, almost tiny pebbles. Some say that means it was manufactured (crushed) vs beach collected. Whatever the case, I've been happy with it. Doesn't float too easily, which is a good thing.

Smoothed over depth for me is probably 1.5 inches or so; depends on the tank, some a bit more or less. It's not critical, I just eyeball it. After that my fish move it around making mounds and low spots, which doesn't hurt anything, especially with fish that sift sand anyway.

You can make yourself a little crazy doing too much research on sand imo, different opinions and contradictory information, or details about composition that don't matter much in an aquarium (other than those sands that specifically buffer hardness or pH, such as the cichlid sand). I haven't had any issues with what I've got.

Last edited:

Goonie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Northern Virginia
Could I get way with a mix of .5mm to 2mm ? Gonna be a. Fair bit of river rock in the tank as well and was thinking of using the larger stuff around the river stone piles

Ash02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2019
Texas
I use PFS as well. The only downsides are that you will get a lot of diatoms in the first few months. Also, though it doesn't blow around and get into filters, you may have to play with your flow to keep it from forming some dunes.

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
I recently picked up some lapis luster sand from home depot. It's 30 mesh I believe, and a natural tan beach sand color. Comes extremely clean, super easy to rinse in a 5 gallon bucket. I really like it so far and it's very inexpensive.

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
I just started using it, but it is very clean. I'm using it with sponge filters so impellers aren't a concern for me, but it's just a hint lighter than the Black Diamond blasting sand that I also use, hardly even noticable. I use bdbs in my 40b shrimp and endler tank with an HOB with no issues at all. I do run a prefilter sponge but is more for keeping shrimp and fry out of the filter though. Now if you had large cichlids spitting it everywhere I could see the becoming an issue, but imo a prefilter sponge solves all that. The large ones from Aquarium co-op are great, they are closed off on the bottom end, and can be stretched to fit over intake strainers in some cases so you can run the plastic strainer and the sponge at the same time, as I did with my marineland.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store