Satan cichlid ID help!?

Skyeboy

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 4, 2016
So story goes... i got this as a tiny 1" "red rexas" from a buddy who has a fish store. It was terrorizing everything in the tank with it at that tiny size. It would flare at the glass at you at that size to. Naturally i was intrigued. He told me to take it just to get it out of the tanks. I grew it out. Its been about 8-9 months. Its about 5-6" now and mean as hell. It is in a tank by itself. I cant even do water changes without it biting me. It has drew blood multiple times. Eats anything that hits the water. Body pattern looks texas like but has red under tones and pure deep red fins. It will jump out of the water and attack the glass lid if you go near it. Any ideas? Meanest cichlid i have ever owned. Puts my past dovii and jags to shame.20191109_210307.jpg20191109_210208.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
duanes duanes RD. RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
male 1st generation red texas hybrid

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
Unfaded red texas. Yours looks like a female to me. The texas hybrids are insanely aggressive. I once went to a breeders house who had a major red texas breeding project going on. He had dozens of tanks set up with different red texas in them. Well over 100 fish. Some were faded, some were peeling, and some would just remain colored like the one you have. As I walked through looking at his stock I was getting splashed from dozens of these aggressive little guys trying to bite me through the glass. The breeder apologized to me. I wasn't bothered at all honestly. I was so amazed at the raw aggression coming out of all these hybrids. I left that day not buying one. I ended up buying one from a different breeder a few weeks later. She was 3 inches and I told the guy I was buying her from that she was going to be going into a 125 with a 9 inch male Vieja synspilum. He told me, "I hope your synspilum can handle her" I said I was worried about her small size with him. He said she will hold her own just fine. He wasn't kidding. I put her in the tank and she was the boss. She went head to head with a fish that was 3 times her size and practically put him in a corner. Ten days later she layed eggs with him...lol

Kvandy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2018
Roseville, MI
Your fish could still fade. I sold a red Texas around the same age and size as yours thinking it wasn’t going to fade and like 4 months later the girl I sold it to text me pictures of it completely faded into a stunner of a red Texas. Still sad I sold that fish.

Skyeboy

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 4, 2016
Well im happy it is a red texas. I had a feeling. I think might be female because from time to time she will completely re arrange the tsnk to her liking.moving sand to make a nest like area.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I think might be female because from time to time she will completely re arrange the tsnk to her liking.moving sand to make a nest like area.
You'll see the same behaviour among male cichlids. Looking again, this fish is sending me mixed signals. lol It could go either way, if you can get a vent shot that would help.

Skyeboy

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 4, 2016
Yea i might take my life in my hands and try to net it to get vent pic. Is fading or peeling gentic of are there things you can do to encourage it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store