savannah monitor,

kasaki89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
hamilton
so i know this might be dumb but i just tried feeding my sav a horn worm, and i think the spike injured him, he was chewing on it fine, than the worm curled under his jaw, ( the side with the horn on it ) and it poked him and the sav spat the horn worm out and was freaking out and didnt want anything to eat just wanted to hide,

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
How do you have his enclosure set up? Air temperatures, basking surface temperature, humidity, substrate, etc? How big is he at the moment?

Edwardo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
Its a very young animal, yes?
It just needs to perfect the art of dispatching live prey more quickly and efficiantly.

kasaki89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
hamilton
yeah hes fine :p i guess the worm scared him and yeah going on 6 months, and hes right now basking on a large piece of cork bark, just ate 3 earth worms.

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
Can you please tell us his size and enclosure setup? I'm just having a hard time imagining a six month old sav being scared by something as small as a hornworm, regardless of it poking the sav or not.

kasaki89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
hamilton
its in a 4 foot , 3 foot , 2 foot terra, made out of wood, i used to have 1 large lamp that would make up his basking spot, now i split it into 2 , incase the 1 larger one would cause burns, the terra is layed with a 50/50 soil and sand mix, humidity is kept a 70 percent, and basking spot is in the 130 range.

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
its in a 4 foot , 3 foot , 2 foot terra, made out of wood, i used to have 1 large lamp that would make up his basking spot, now i split it into 2 , incase the 1 larger one would cause burns, the terra is layed with a 50/50 soil and sand mix, humidity is kept a 70 percent, and basking spot is in the 130 range.
I would go for more heat. 150-170 SURFACE TEMPERATURE

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
Sounds pretty good, better than most setups for sure. How large is the Sav and how often/how much have you been feeding him? 130 is plenty for a small guy but as he grows you may want to raise it to the 140-150 range. Some will use higher temperatures than that, but most don't.

Edwardo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
The cage sounds like its in the ballpark...
Not sure what you mean by large lamp? but using spotlights instead of floodlights can cause burns on monitor lizards,
Its best to use lower wattage (45watt to 75watt) halogen/incandescant, flood light type bulbs and get them close to the animal.
Higher wattage bulbs that are placed further away from the basking spot, tend to dry out the air in the cage to much, which is not one the goals if you keep monitors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store