Saving Tadpoles for Feeding Fish

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
I'm thinking it was the diet that was the problem. I tried to get enough algae to grow but obviously it wasn't enough. They ended getting skinny and slowing down so I put them back in the pond.

Anyway......OP, I think your plan is as good as anything we can think of. Putting them in an ice tray seems like an easier way to feed possibly 2-3 at a time(depending on the size of the tray and tadpoles) without really having to get your hands dirty or whatever. Are you opposed to keeping them live or is it just about being easier to deal with? Just curious. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Conagher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
NC
The reason for wanting to try to freeze them is that they dont stay tadpoles very long. My fish absolutely love to eat them (live). Seriously, 10 decent sized tadpoles (about 3/4" long including tail) dont last more than a few minutes between 2 delhezis, one rope, and an african brown knife.

I am hoping that by freezing a few in each ice cube section I can have pretty much a year round supply (once or twice a week) of semi-fresh tadpoles. I like to vary their diet from day to day. Sinking carnivore pellets , bloodworms, finely ground venison heart, earthworms, high protein aquadine flakes, occasionally minnows. If I can add tadpoles into the mix, that would make the diet that much more well rounded.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Sounds good idea to me to me! I also freeze minnows and other feeder fishes occasionally to save $$$. It works for me.

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
If they're in your pond, then you're essentially growing your own population. Feed as you will. That noted, I haven't tried freezing tadpoles (although frog legs freezes satisfactorily), so just give it a shot and see what happens! Start with just a few so that you don't waste them if the defrost goes badly.

Conagher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
NC
Start with just a few so that you don't waste them if the defrost goes badly.
My thoughts as well. I am planning on doing just a couple of ice cube tray sections (two cubes worth) to try it out once I see some tadpoles. But so far I am just doing the waiting game until the little buggers hatch.

Conagher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
NC
I have completed my first trial run with the frozen tadpoles and the results were surprisingly good. I had the tadpoles frozen about a week is all, but they seemed to thaw out quite well and the fish did eat them pretty well, even though they of course prefer the live ones. I will be trying to freeze a good batch tomorrow and see how the cubes turn out.

So far, so good though! :)
I need to hustle though because the tadpoles are starting to get pretty good sized already.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store