Saw a lung fish Have some questions

TakeNotes

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2010
In The Jungle
Store is selling an "African lungfish" Is about 8-9" Still had external looking gills. This guy is blueish in color with marbled or darker blue spots. He is priced at $99. I have done some research and got some info on lungfish in general but my queston here is, what kind is he specifically? And he has a vertical split neat the back of his upper fin that is almost white in color and looks like a gouge. Is this normal or was he bit? If so, will it grow back? Also his "external gills" look a bit uneaven, will these go away anyway? And is the price fair for NYC. Thanks. I have an extra 40breeder I am considering selling and am thinking about keeping this guy in there instead.:confused: Will attempt to post pics soon tho...

matt87yi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2010
Cali City Of Angels
the gills slowly disappear after a period of time, nbeed a pic to let u know exactly what type of african lung fish it is.. its a possible cut.. if it is, its possible that it wont get fixed, iunno if its cheap for nyc, but its sure expensive for me in cali. 40 gallons is way to small...

TakeNotes

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2010
In The Jungle
Thanks. Havent been back to the petshop ina while. Will post a pic when I can (perhaps monday), The 40 would be a growout tank, but im having second thoughts since I will have to keep the Lungfish alone... Might just get 2 shovelnose stergeons and grow them out in the 40 breeder then move them into my 125... Had one before and it died along with my teacup ray mysteriously...

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
TakeNotes;5034643; said:
I have a well stocked 125 that will need upgrading in the future but i wouldnt want to just keep ONE fish in it.....
African lungfish (WAL, MAL, SpAL, & GAL) must be kept alone unless you have some expendable fish to put in with them. The GAL is the smallest of the four lungfish (24"), but it also hasn't been imported to the U.S. more than once in recent history and that was just a single fish which is now deceased. The WAL is the most commonly available lungfish and the next smallest (36"), and you would need a 100 gallon aquarium at minimum for one. The MAL gets to be around 72" and the SpAL gets to be around 48", so an aquarium that is longer than the lungfish is and allows it to easily turn around will be needed.

South American lungfish (SAL) and Australian lungfish (AUL) can be kept with a variety of tankmates provided that they are either too large to be viewed as food or too small to be viewed as a potential food source. SALs are commonly available, and AULs are fairly rare and expensive. The SAL will get to be around 48" and the AUL will get to be around 60". You would be looking at a minimum of 180 gallon aquarium for a SAL and a much larger aquarium for an AUL.

So it really comes down to having a smaller aquarium with no other fish in the case of the African lungfishes or a larger aquarium with other fish in the case of the South American lungfishes.

redtailcatfreak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
Where the gators are
i came across an african lung a few months ago. about 16 inches for 50 bucks. But thats here in florida. i wanted it but it was already sold

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store