Sciaenochromis fryeri

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
Hey all, I know these guys are also known as electric blue haps or simply electric blue cichlids, just wanted to know if they're unusually aggressive as far as mbunas go (such as kenyis and auratus etc) Also, would $22 be a decent price for one about 3.5"? Thanks

gobucks1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
West Virginia
www.myspace.com
Well, they're not technically mbuna, they are haps. Not particularly aggressive, more predatory. They get a fair bit bigger than any mbuna will.

I'd say that's a pretty high price, but it all depends on location..

Mokujin22

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2009
Gatihersburg, MD
$22 for a 3.5" hap isn't bad for stores in my area. He won't mess with mbuna, but will do a great job of cleaning up any fry in the tank.

Common confusion based on common names - Scianochromis fryeri (Electric blue ahli - hap) vs. Melanochromis johanni (electric blue johanni - mbuna). Totally different fish.

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
sorry i ment malawi not mbuna haha

i think i might grab him if he's still there tomorrow, good looking fish glad they aren't typically incredibly aggressive

Brian_Indiana

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 22, 2010
Muncie, IN
At a LFS $22 for a 3.5" Male Fryeri isn't too bad of a deal. I am lucky on Fryeri in that I know two guys that breed them so I can get them cheap.

How good is the color? At that size, you should have a strong blue and start to see the white stripe. I just updated my 120 thread with pics of the 5" Fryeri.

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
Brian_Indiana;4851653; said:
At a LFS $22 for a 3.5" Male Fryeri isn't too bad of a deal. I am lucky on Fryeri in that I know two guys that breed them so I can get them cheap.

How good is the color? At that size, you should have a strong blue and start to see the white stripe. I just updated my 120 thread with pics of the 5" Fryeri.
little closer to purplish than blue on the cheeks, with some solid blue coloration but not as good as what i see when i google them, they're in petsmart water so their color really comes out when you remove them from such confined space

there are 2 there that i kinda like and would like to get out of that water, one of which has a purplish chrome color on the cheeks and has very defined stripes when i took him out and put him in one of the plastic breeder things, i see a lot of potential for him in cleaner water

the other one has a good bit of yellow on his fins, and i was wondering if this is a sex difference or a different similar species all together, i found a pic on google that looks similar to the one im talking about:

gonna go check out ur updated thread now, would love to see the 5" specimen :p

Regalblue

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2010
MI.
Price wise I think it's high. I got my "iceberg" breeding group, that included 2 6" males for $ 50

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com

Boogiemn1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
LAWRENCE, MA
I'VE KEPT TWO OF THEM ALONG WITH MAWALIS IN A 100 GAL. ONE THING I CAN TELL YOU THERES ALWAYS A COMPETITION WHEN YOU HAVE TWO MALES, NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE OTHERS

Brian_Indiana

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 22, 2010
Muncie, IN
The females are drab gray with only a hint of blue. Here is a snap shot of my Iceberg variant colony 2M/7F. I got them from MFK's NotoriousSway in the early summer.

Removing him from Petsmart water and in a bigger tank without the other males will definitely improve his color.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store