scratches from jumping

pennyg

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2019
Central Ohio
Hi I have a question relating to best practices for fish that have scratches. My over excited oscar leaped up during feeding time today and hit the cross support of the tank. I am doing a water change tonight but wondered if there was something else I should be doing for my fish. hard to get a picture because she tends to face towards me when I am at the tank front... begging for food I presume lol. there are two scratches 20190509_175424.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi I have a question relating to best practices for fish that have scratches. My over excited oscar leaped up during feeding time today and hit the cross support of the tank. I am doing a water change tonight but wondered if there was something else I should be doing for my fish. hard to get a picture because she tends to face towards me when I am at the tank front... begging for food I presume lol. there are two scratches View attachment 1372389

Just keep the water clean and the scratches will heal.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
You will not believe how fast an oscar can heal. Keep the water clean and he will be OK.

If you're nervous you could add slime coat "replacers" to the water. Also if you are suspicious of any infection.

Watch for white fuzz on the pectoral fins.
+2

Reactions: tlindsey

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Also as a bit of a protective measure you might consider to wrap your cross braces with cut pieces of yoga mat. I do this on esp. on Arowana and Flowerhorn tanks Though it blocks some light, having a shady spot or two in a tank can be appreciated by some fish.

Reactions: pennyg
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store