Screw Question???

sierraone5276

Feeder Fish
Jan 16, 2021
Lets say that you are building an aquarium out of 3/4" (18mm) plywood.

What screws are you using when you build the box?

I have read that 10x2.5 self tapping deck screws are good. I would like to hear what everyone here uses in their builds?

Do you predrill your holes or do you trust that the self tapping screws will make their way without splitting the wood?

If you do predrill your holes, do you use a drill guide to make sure that you get the holes exactly perpendicular to the panel or do you just eyeball it and go?

I am a bit of a perfectionist and it doesn't bother me if screwing this thing together takes a few extra hours. I am not worried about saving time when it comes to knowing that everything is done perfectly.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Pre-drill for sure. I just eyeball them and rarely run astray...but it does happen sometimes. :) No big deal, just fill the hole with glue, re-drill and carry on.

Speaking of glue...use it! Vastly stronger than just screws alone. I run a bead of carpenter's glue along each joint, lightly tack it with a couple finishing nails just to hold it in place, and then drill and install screws. Wipe off any glue that is squeezed out of the joint right away, much easier than cleaning it off after it dries.

sierraone5276

Feeder Fish
Jan 16, 2021
I plan on making a straight line on the plywood to keep all the screws in line. I plan on measuring and marking the distance between the screw holes to make sure that the joint is held together evenly. I plan on predrilling all of the holes. I plan on using a drill guide to make sure that all of the holes are perfectly perpendicular to the plywood. I plan on using a high quality waterproof wood glue in conjunction with the screws. Like I said, an extra few hours of work during the build doesn't bother me if it equals an extra decade of life out of the tank.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
This will certainly be a neat, clean construction project. I plan on watching this thread for hopeful updates.

You seem to be a perfectionist, and will appreciate a clean job. Bearing that in mind, I believe that you would be happier if you slightly countersink each screw hole before driving the fasteners. Driving a screw into a pre-drilled hole that is not countersunk will often cause the top plywood layer to come out looking pretty rough, requiring a fair bit of sanding and filling afterwards. A countersunk hole prevents this issue.

Reactions: Dalfrey86

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
This will certainly be a neat, clean construction project. I plan on watching this thread for hopeful updates.

You seem to be a perfectionist, and will appreciate a clean job. Bearing that in mind, I believe that you would be happier if you slightly countersink each screw hole before driving the fasteners. Driving a screw into a pre-drilled hole that is not countersunk will often cause the top plywood layer to come out looking pretty rough, requiring a fair bit of sanding and filling afterwards. A countersunk hole prevents this issue.
+1
Opt for a drill bit with the countersink based. Most allow for varying depths to meet your needs.
Cheers to another perfectionist.

hartebreak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2020
Use lots of glue. I would recommend an epoxy for every joint, but if you want to use normal glue, use a good waterPROOF glue like titebond III

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Cheap galvanized screws will cause MUCH more splitting than expensive self taping screws. If you are going to predrill it does not matter much. A good self taping deck screw is an excellent choice.

Woodworking has been a hobby for several decades for me. I have NEVER used a guide to predrill screw holes! Close enough to perpendicular is close enough.

The only time I use a drill jig is for doweling where the two holes have to be in very close alignment. A drill guide is WAY too much work for simply screwing a couple of pieces of wood together. But it certainly won't hurt anything if you use one.

I would also recommend looking at picking up a pocket hole jig. The Kreg screws that are sold for use with the Kreg pocket hole jigs are a good high quality screws and seldom cause splitting in the piece of wood that is being screwed into.

I would choose Titebond 3 over epoxy. They both have their places but Titebond 3 is an excellent water proof glue for wood. For me the screws are mostly there to hold the wood tightly together until the glue dries. Then the glue becomes the strength in the project with the screws to back it up from shear forces.

lifeon2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
United States
Another vote for Titebond 3 that stuff is the best. I use Timberlok or GRK screws for shear value as they are much stronger than a run of the mill screw. If you dont feel steady drilling straight then yeah use a guide. I personally dont but if it makes you comfortable then go for it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store