Sea monkeys

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In nature they can be found in temporary puddles that eventually dry up, and eggs hatch out when rains return.
I kept the adult grow outs in 50 gallon preformed ponds, so overpopulation was not a problem, I also removed some as live food for cichlids every couple days.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
In nature they can be found in temporary puddles that eventually dry up, and eggs hatch out when rains return.
I kept the adult grow outs in 50 gallon preformed ponds, so overpopulation was not a problem, I also removed some as live food for cichlids every couple days.
duanes duanes this sounds interesting! Do they live okay without filtration or water changes? If all it takes is feeding them yeast and providing sunlight, this could be a worthwhile project. I harvest Daphnia from my small outdoor pond now for fish food; having a few tanks of adult brine shrimp on hand would be pretty sweet.

The only thing that worries me is disposing of all that saltwater at the end of the growing season. I have enough difficulty growing my lawn and outdoor plants now without adopting a "salted earth" policy. :)

• Haha
Reactions: neontetraking

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I would use water change water from fish tanks in their tubs, and maybe throw in a hand full of rock salt with that water.
Every once in a while after the population dropped from feeding fish, and water got little rancid I'd just dump tub and start over with another of the hatchery bowls of old eggs.
I never used filtration or even aeration being outside, seemed breezes were enough for a while, and their life spans are very short..
Even used old sky lights as containers, only needed to be a few inches deep.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store