Seachem Matrix Clouding water?

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
I set up a new 100 gallon tank. It has a Sicce whale 500 canister filter. It also had a top filter. I don't know how to describe this filter. It is a power pump which throws the water upwards through a tube inside the tank lid cover area and the tube has small holes. Water pass through this tube and drops to filter sponge. In that chamber I placed Seachem Matrix without any filter bag. I washed Matrix before putting there.

However after I filled the tank with water and started tank the water is cloudy. It can't be bacterial bloom or substrate as I cleaned the substrate very well and double checked to make sure it is not leaching any debris. It can't be a bacterial bloom as well since the tank is started a few hours ago with no fish or ammonia inside.

Anyone of you had matrix fouled your water? Do I need to wait for it to clear it itself or if I need to do a partial water change? Maybe remove Matrix from filter?

Its been 6 hours since the tank is started with water. The cloudiness decreased a bit but its still cloudy.

Please advise

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
If the matrix did put some fine dust in the aquarium, it will eventually go away with water changes. Plenty of people use matrix, me included, and don't have any long term cloudiness.

You could speed up the process by putting some fine filter pads in the filter ... something like 50 micron. Just change it weekly, and when the water is clear you can probably stop using the pads.

Reactions: Kashif314

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
If the matrix did put some fine dust in the aquarium, it will eventually go away with water changes. Plenty of people use matrix, me included, and don't have any long term cloudiness.

You could speed up the process by putting some fine filter pads in the filter ... something like 50 micron. Just change it weekly, and when the water is clear you can probably stop using the pads.
Thanks. I guess I need to do a water change as you suggested. Not sure about filter media as the filter is a 4 stage filter but I will check for what you suggested. I think I need to remove matrix from filter or maybe put it inside a filter bag?

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Filter bag isn't going to help this situation. Filter bags really just serve two purposes, which may not be necessary in some setups:
1. Keep the media in place
2. Make the media easy to remove to clean

I wouldn't worry too much about water changes or cloudiness right now. Just start cycling your tank. It's going to take a month unless you have cycled media.

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Filter bag isn't going to help this situation. Filter bags really just serve two purposes, which may not be necessary in some setups:
1. Keep the media in place
2. Make the media easy to remove to clean

I wouldn't worry too much about water changes or cloudiness right now. Just start cycling your tank. It's going to take a month unless you have cycled media.
Thanks. Yes I do have cycled media which I am gonna use tomorrow. Will be an instant cycle. If I had a month I wouldn't have cared one single bit. I will have instant cycle.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Yeah, then try water changes. Also, you should probably remove the Matrix and give it a very thorough rinse if you suspect it is leaching dust.

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Yeah, then try water changes. Also, you should probably remove the Matrix and give it a very thorough rinse if you suspect it is leaching dust.
Done. Removed yesterday, did a power water change but water is still hazy. Don't know what I am doing wrong really.

Thacarter54632

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2019
Done. Removed yesterday, did a power water change but water is still hazy. Don't know what I am doing wrong really.
Doesn't sound so much like doing something wrong so much as you need some patience.

1. No matter how much you wash substrate new substrate tends to cloud the water for a few days.
2. All effective biomedia will produce some dust when new. Rinse it off and it will clear in a couple days.
3. Your tap water may just be cloudy. It happens. If left alone it will clear up in a day or two usually.
4. There is no such thing as an "instant cycle" using cycled filter media will speed the cycling process, but you WILL get small spikes and you will most likely see a bacteria bloom unless you have enough cycled media to support your entire stocking.

Bottom line just leave it alone for a couple days and then see where you are at. 6 hours is nothing.

If you cant be patient, then stockpile some money and buy a magnum and a ton of water polishing cartridges, or a diatom filter and a high quality uv. It wont fix any issues but would clear the water super fast.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store