Seachem matrix reviews and thoughts please

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
But 4D3, how do you know the pores aren't plugged and that the media isn't as productive as it could be? You don't KNOW you don't need to clean it.

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
I'll also admit, I've NEVER replaced any of my ceramic (Substrat pro) or matrix medias.....

I bleach them for 24 hours (1part bleach to 5 parts water) once a year during major canister filter breakdown and cleaning (tank still runs on 2 Aquaclear HOBs with standard Sponges during this 24 hours). Never any problems....

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I typically use pond matrix as it's easier to move around in garment bags. I give it a good shake every month or so,vacuum out the detritus and that's it. Never replaced in over a decade and water tests 0 0 20 most weeks depending on stocking.

I also use Biomax, substrat pro, ceramic rings and lava rock and in all honestly, I can't tell much difference in any of them once bio is established.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HeatherRNC

Feeder Fish
Mar 3, 2018
I just joined and I hope I’m asking this in the proper place. I have a 55 gallon planted tank with a goldfish that I have had for 5 years. He shares the tank with some snails. As he has grown, I’ve had to keep upgrading the tank size. Water was perfect until I switched him to the 55 gallon, with the only problem being high nitrates. I do a 30 to 50% water change every two weeks, I have a marine land biowheel and change the floss/carbon filters with every water change. I’m just having troubles battling these nitrates! So I read that the Matrix biofilter would help reduce the nitrates. I added the recommended amount to the filter canister at the last water change and my fish immediately started lying on the gravel gasping!! I had sufficiently rinsed it before placing it. After about 30 minutes, I removed the product and my fish at least began moving a little. What are your experiences with this biofiltration? Have you ever had a bad reaction to this product? Do you have any other suggestions for the reduction of nitrates?

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
What do you consider "high" nitrates? Fifty percent water changes once a week should be feasible. Cleaning your mechanical filtration frequently will remove organic waste before it has a chance to decompose further. The best way to lower nitrate is not to produce it in the first place. Second best is probably water changes...

HeatherRNC

Feeder Fish
Mar 3, 2018
What do you consider "high" nitrates? Fifty percent water changes once a week should be feasible. Cleaning your mechanical filtration frequently will remove organic waste before it has a chance to decompose further. The best way to lower nitrate is not to produce it in the first place. Second best is probably water changes...
Thanks for your reply. I use a test tube/dropper test kit and it’s around 160 ppm! I’ve been really careful about not over feeding as well. What else would produce it? Good to know that I can change out more water more frequently. I’ve never had to before, so I was unsure. Thank you for your help!!

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
What brand and how old is your test kit? See if it has an expiration date on the bottle.

You need to increase the percentage of water changed to get the nitrate level down. Since it is at 160 PPM, I suggest changing 30% every other day to get them much lower. You don't want to do too large a change at one time as that may also stress the fish.

Which canister filter do you have and when was the last time you cleaned it?

Adding Matrix should not have caused the issue you mentioned so I'm not sure what is going on with that problem.

How large is your goldfish?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I've used bioballs as my primary host for biological. Within the last year added some pond matrix just to experiment with anaerobic BB. I honestly would pick what you are most comfortable spending and call it a day. Im sure some do have more surface space, etc..., but 3+ years with bioballs was sufficient as long as parameters are good.

I never have a need to rinse. I have vacuumed the sump maybe once a year for some of detritus.

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
I have matrix don't see any difference in my nitrate, trying out algae scrubber right now to see if it gonna lower down my nitrate

Bud_Man_Jr

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2006
Evansville, Wisconsin
Matrix is actually more surface area than eheim and have the numbers on their site for surface area. Just turn on a pump and blast the media in a bucket. No reason to replace your live bacteria. Thry reccomend replacing because how else can they sell more if they say its lifetime?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store