Seachem paraguard

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Is seachem paraguard safe for clown loaches?... my eba might have a fungal infection from being picked on so ill be treating the whole tank. Don't have a hospital tank atm

Reactions: tlindsey

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I don’t think so. I used Paraguard to treat ick following instruction, and killed all my bristlenose. I would assume clown loaches which have the same sensitivity as scaless bristlenose may not make it.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I don’t think so. I used Paraguard to treat ick following instruction, and killed all my bristlenose. I would assume clown loaches which have the same sensitivity as scaless bristlenose may not make it.
I've used paraguard before with plecos and never had an issue

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’ve known bn keepers and clown loach keepers to use it w/o problems.

Reactions: SandNukka15

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I don't dispute other people experience, but I used Paraguard 3 times and all 3 times wiped out all my BN, so it's no misdiagnosis. Paraguard is a combo of Glutaraldehyde and MG, but the amount of MG is only 1/10 of that found in other ick remedies. MG is highly effective against ick but is known to kill scaleless fish at full dosage.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Should I dose at 50??? 75%???

Would it even be effective at that point?

Does paraguard effect bb?

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Hmm. I know I've had a Ranger plec with ich die after dosing Paraguard, but I just assumed it was because the ich progressed too far. I was also treating a Lesser Spiny Eel, and that one did alright and lived.

SandNukka15 SandNukka15 , are you sure you can't find a storage container of some sort to act as a temporary quarantine setup?

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Hmm. I know I've had a Ranger plec with ich die after dosing Paraguard, but I just assumed it was because the ich progressed too far. I was also treating a Lesser Spiny Eel, and that one did alright and lived.

SandNukka15 SandNukka15 , are you sure you can't find a storage container of some sort to act as a temporary quarantine setup?

I was thinking that but id have to take a sponge out of the main tank to keep the bb in check in the container. Hopefully it doesn't go into a mini cycle.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Should I dose at 50??? 75%???

Would it even be effective at that point?

Does paraguard effect bb?
I've never had a fully cycled quarantine tank lose cycle using paraguard for 3 weeks. I've used it in a large 200+g tank with large fish, and never had a mini cycle. I've even used in on lungfish, bichirs and common pleco, and dwarf pleco at 100% dosage with no issues during a 3 week treatment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store