seachem purigen ? whats your experince with it/how does it work?

spotted-elk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
colorado
seachem purigen some one told me they use it insted of carbon i read that it works the same as carbon basicly but better an it takes out ammonia,nitrites,nratets? So if i were to use it would it make it so the bb has nothing to (eat) so it cant survive. If you use it with a new set up tank would your tank not cycle?

jft

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2010
PA
Well I like it but I also love chemipure and polyfilters the best because easy to use without trying to find a reactor or media bag and What are you trying to achieve is the way I would look at it. Ease of use and color changes with polyfilter is always something I appreciated plus a bag w Chemipure sure makes life a little easier ,but Purigen works but I personally think it is not better than polyfilter or chemipure, but I do trust seachem products so you make the call.

EricJ7182

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
Jersey
^^^ Ditto..... I like purigen, but LOVE :nilly: the Chemipure. I use both in combination in two of my tanks and the water has never looked clearer. I have hard water issues in my town and found that the purigen cleared the cloudiness; however the chemipure just made the water POP. It's like the first time i saw HD TV now i can't live without it lol.

spotted-elk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
colorado
thx ill check them out , if i were to use one of these products where would the best place to place it in a canister filter. Im thinking the top/last tray . I have a fluval 405 so i think it works like this the water goes threw the sponages then up threw the bio max an then i have carbon but if i replace the carbon with one of the products it will get any ammonia,nitrites,nratets or any other organic waste that the BB(bio max) dsnt break down? What do you think ?

js302

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
England
it did wonders for my water.
Only thing was, to recharge it u have to use bleach.
Then u rinse/soak the bleach off before the purigen bag goes back into the tank.

I was always afraid of introducing bleach into my tank and killing bb.
Im not sure how chemipure and the other product work.

...and purigen granules got everywhere!

spotted-elk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
colorado
i would be scared of use bleach to even tho it says its ok to do that id proly just buy more even tho its exspens

Sik.10a

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2010
OZ
I jus got 1L of purigen, on the bottle it says for freshwater use to recharge by soaking for 4hours in a 1cup containing water & 1 tablespoon of buffer (discus buffer, neutral regulator, or acid buffer). Then ready for use again.

It says use bleach for saltwater only.

Haven't tried it myself, I jus got it- small beads are a pain- jus gotta try find the right bag for the job

Sik.10a

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2010
OZ
Double bag purigen if mesh isn't fine enough, seems to contain it much better this way than buying the small expensive bag from seachem.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
I jus got 1L of purigen, on the bottle it says for freshwater use to recharge by soaking for 4hours in a 1cup containing water & 1 tablespoon of buffer (discus buffer, neutral regulator, or acid buffer). Then ready for use again.

It says use bleach for saltwater only.

Haven't tried it myself, I jus got it- small beads are a pain- jus gotta try find the right bag for the job
You got an old bag. Seachem changed it to bleach on both fresh and saltwater.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store