Searching for Esox Americana (Red Fin Pickerel)

Synsulisarian

Feeder Fish
Apr 20, 2023
Hello,
I live up here in Canada and our laws allow for non-native fish species to be kept in aquaria. Esox Americana Americana (Red Fin Pickerel) is my dream fish, and lives squarely south of our border. Ergo, it is legal to import and keep. I might also consider a smaller grass pickerel.

This is my dream fish, strange as it may be, and I have a 200 Gallon ready to go should I find one.

Does anyone know where I can buy one from, or how to source one? My local fish stores are clueless. Thanks so much!

Syn

Reactions: Chet E.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
I might be able to help you out, we have them here and they are gorgeous I even catch a melanistic one occasionally. Get back to me in a three months or so. I have a health problem right now that is keeping me indoors.

Reactions: Synsulisarian

Synsulisarian

Feeder Fish
Apr 20, 2023
Hey there! Wow, that's awesome (About the Esocidae!). Hope your health improves, I will DM you shortly.

Synsulisarian

Feeder Fish
Apr 20, 2023
Well looks like I can't directly message you, but if you can find a way, please do keep in touch! If you want I can pass you my cell # to keep in touch if you wish. Cheers for now!!!

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
No problem, it will be a while, I check in here with some regularity. I understand the desire to have a specific species of fish. I've wanted a few shovelnose sturgeon fingerlings most of my life but it would seem that dream will go on being a dream. I am too old now to really expect it to happen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store