Seeding a new salt filter w/fresh water bio media?

jcm412

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2008
PA
I am setting up a new filter for a new salt water aquarium. Can i seed the new salt water fitler with bio media from an established fresh water filter?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
freshwater bacteria wont transfer to saltwater.

Just pick up some cured liverock and let the tank cycle for a month or so. The live rock will seed the tank.

pagancry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
While you can use the actual media from the freshwater tank any beneficial bacteria will die in saltwater. However, if there is any decaying organic matter on the media it will act as food for saltwater bacteria. I would actually drop some fish food into the tank and let the bacteria slowly break it down and multiply. You could also add live rock.

James

jcm412

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2008
PA
Ok, see i am getting an established reef tank from a friend and i was getting quaritine tanks setup for the move. So i really cant let the live rock seed the tank/filters. I guess ill just get some bio media from the tank he is giving me alittle early.

Gprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2008
Ottawa
I would get some bio media from him, maybe some of his water change water as well (the water he's taking out of his tank) and maybe of cup of his live sand/substrate. All good ways to seed a new tank.

MadRussian79

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
Where my fish swim
Wait are you getting the whole tank, including the water and glass box? You really don't need a bio filter or any media in the sump if you have enough live rock and/or sand in the tank. Live rock beats all filter media by leaps and bounds.

Just dump every thing into water proof containers and move it fill the new tank with the same water, rock, etc. I did the same thing when a stand failed (expletives about fiber board stands omitted) then the tank sprung a leak.

dat673

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2009
Washington, DC
yes if you're getting a tank that's already set up just take everything from that and just add to where you are putting the set up simple no need to buy anything since you have everything you need there.

jcm412

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2008
PA
Well i want to set up quarentine tanks for the fish. So i can take my time seting up the tank he is giving me the way i want it without having to rush.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store