seeding my new wet/dry

piscavore pisces

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2005
worldwide
I want to seed my new wet/dry and was wondering what the best place was to put the filter media. It is set up similar to this one and I was thinking of putting it where the red arrow is in the pic or maybe even where the blue arrow is. What do you think will work better? I plan on using ceramic rings from an established ac110, some filstars from an xp3 and a bio-wheel from a penguin to seed the wet/dry.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
The best place is directly on top of the bio-balls. The blue arrows are AFTER the bio-balls and that is a bad place for them. You want the old media BEFORE the new bio-balls. Being in direct contact will be the ablolute fastest way to spread the bacteria to the new media.

I used bio-wheels to seed my bio-balls and my filter became established in two days. On the second day it was handling all of the fish waste I could throw at it.

piscavore pisces

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2005
worldwide
wow 2 days? so on the drip plate above the bio balls is the best place then right? i hope mine establishes in 2 days like yours did

edit: now that i read your statement again i think i will put them right under the drip plate in with the bio balls

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Put your old media UNDER your drip plate directly on or in your bio-balls. This way the bacteria can spread faster without having to go into the water collumn first.

By the way, does your avatar do any other tricks?

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
CHOMPERS;548922; said:
The best place is directly on top of the bio-balls. The blue arrows are AFTER the bio-balls and that is a bad place for them. You want the old media BEFORE the new bio-balls. Being in direct contact will be the ablolute fastest way to spread the bacteria to the new media.

I used bio-wheels to seed my bio-balls and my filter became established in two days. On the second day it was handling all of the fish waste I could throw at it.

You DO wash your hands alot, don't you? :D

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
CHOMPERS;549194; said:
Put your old media UNDER your drip plate directly on or in your bio-balls. This way the bacteria can spread faster without having to go into the water collumn first.

By the way, does your avatar do any other tricks?

Isn't that enough?

Oh yeah, I forgot your a bachelor...:ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store