Seeking Advice

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Good Morning all,
So I've been thinking about what to do about this situation for some time.
A couple years ago, I moved next to this family. It's mom, dad, 2 boys about maybe 10-12, and a younger sister around 8-9. Anyway a few months after moving in, my gf and I would wake up to hearing the mom next door screaming at her kids. I mean not only berating them but calling them stupid. My gf was a bit more disturbed than I at the time. A few of you in the Lounge know I can be a bit of a hard ass when it comes to ideas about disciplining children, so I felt content in thinking, that mom yells alot, not a big deal. My gf then said once or twice she heard mom beating the kids. I couldn't say I ever heard that for a while. BUT, I swear EVERY SINGLE morning lately we hear her on a warpath, screaming and yelling and verbally abusing these kids. I feel bad for these kids. I hear the yelling, and it's just about getting ready for school, but mom literally sounds like she's gone mad.
This morning I'm pretty sure she was beating the crap out of them boys. This is where I think I have to say something. Now here's where I'm asking for the advice. Should I start by saying something to the dad whom I talk to occasionally. He's always friendly and talkative with me. I've never heard him raise his voice once at his kids. My gf said once she heard him intervene when mom was going psycho. So having said that, I would like to see them work this out. I wonder if he could be subject to wrath also. Or I should say something directly to the mom. I feel things could escalate with her though. Then there is the authorities... Could I be over reacting, under reacting? What do you guys think?? Thanks.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
You can call your local child protection agency and local police about suspicion of abuse. It can be done anonymously.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Maybe drop an anonymous letter expressing that you are well aware of what is going on and how easy it would be for you to alert human services/childcare authorities and have them visit if things keep going the way they are.....

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
You can call your local child protection agency and local police about suspicion of abuse. It can be done anonymously.
Anonymously, hmm, I hadn't thought about that. Thank you.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Maybe drop an anonymous letter expressing that you are well aware of what is going on and how easy it would be for you to alert human services/childcare authorities and have them visit if things keep going the way they are.....
Yea, I was just saying that hadn't crossed my mind. But I like your idea, anonymous to them first.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Once called they investigate. If no harm is found the family will be monitered. The kids maybe temporarily be taken away and brought back till Once cleared.

If there's true harm the children will be removed and family will go through court till things have been sorted. Judge will decide where kids go in their best interest.

I believe that's how it goes.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Once called they investigate. If no harm is found the family will be monitered. The kids maybe temporarily be taken away and brought back till Once cleared.

If there's true harm the children will be removed and family will go through court till things have been sorted. Judge will decide where kids go in their best interest.

I believe that's how it goes.
Wow, this sounds traumatic. If I'm wrong, this would would be bad.

Reactions: jaws7777

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If your wrong then the investigation will show it and everything will go back to what it was. There will be an inconvenience for sure but safety of children comes first.

I believe this is how the process goes. I know the process for the elderly better.

For Florida, where I live, the law has changed and now a sherriff will go out and then the social worker/rep will be called after if they need to respond. This is for adults but I think even for kids. The response is the same.

Reactions: aztsm

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It can be traumatic either way it goes when reported.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
If your wrong then the investigation will show it and everything will go back to what it was. There will be an inconvenience for sure but safety of children comes first.

I believe this is how the process goes. I know the process for the elderly better.

For Florida, where I live, the law has changed and now a sherriff will go out and then the social worker/rep will be called after if they need to respond. This is for adults but I think even for kids. The response is the same.
The kids are super well behaved, go to school every morning, sports at night, if the authorities were looking for obvious physical abuse, I'm not sure they'd see it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store