Seeking advices for Iridescent shark care

ILOVESHARKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2021
Malaysia
Haven't post for a while, would like to know more about iridescent shark cares, because I lost 3 albino iridescent sharks, the first one succumbed from injuries by my clown knife fish, second and third one jump out of the tank, second one succumed from the injuries, third one jumped out while I was at school
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-01 at 9.28.04 AM.jpeg

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Larger the tank the better. When young 2-4”they are very skittish and never stop charging around. I use powerhead with filter attachment to both give good flow and good airation on a 50g currently while small (3”). They will move to a 180 when they grow a little 4-5” and then move to the pond at around 12”. When small they are happy to feed on quality flake as this also fills them nicely as they find it floating in the water, along with bloodworm and musselmeat. Keeping them in a tank with flow keeps them leaner and actually slows their growth a little as they burn off the calories.
Keep a lid on tanks or indeed lower the water level a few inches as easily spooked. Not ideal fish for bullies such as cichlids due to their friendly but skittish nature and unfortunately as you learned this can make them s target for other fish. Clown knives included. Slow down as they get older but can still be spooked.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Just my $0.02, I've had these before and with how active they are, I think you want to be aiming for a minimum of 10-15 times their length. With the size of 90-130cm these can reach, it would have to be very large.
Also schooling fish, so a group is needed.

I'll second what Fishman Dave said too, particularly the part on not keeping them with rough fish.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
They shouldn't try to jump out unless they are

-- chased or bullied or scared;
-- or the tank's too small;
-- or the water is inadequate in terms of composition (hardness, TDS, pH, temp, stability),
-- or toxin parameters (ammonia, nitrite),
-- or dissolved oxygen.

If all above factors are found not to be at play / eliminated, a simple lid and not housing with fish that can hurt them is all you would seem to need, as you had already learned.

ILOVESHARKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2021
Malaysia
They shouldn't try to jump out unless they are

-- chased or bullied or scared;
-- or the tank's too small;
-- or the water is inadequate in terms of composition (hardness, TDS, pH, temp, stability),
-- or toxin parameters (ammonia, nitrite),
-- or dissolved oxygen.

If all above factors are found not to be at play / eliminated, a simple lid and not housing with fish that can hurt them is all you would seem to need, as you had already learned.
They are very scaredy fish, when I choose them in the fish shop they will swim like hell splatting water every where

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store