Seeking all Aussie Lungfish owners

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Yeah sorry Egon, I was getting some feedback from the scientists who will analyse the scale about the best way to get it here to avoid breakdown in the post and make it simple at your end. I've got some instructions sorted and all the bits to send you. I'll send it this week.
I got the package! I will send the scale soon :)

KuhliaFan

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
Brisbane West
Awesome thanks. Will start to gear up the lab to run the scale when it arrives. Might seem like an anti climax to age a fish that we already know the age of, but this small piece of information will allow us to confidently all wild caught lungfish for this monumental research project.

KuhliaFan

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
Brisbane West
Some new developments on our AUL research in Australia. We wanted to better understand the population genetics and as with most things dealing with AUL's they didn't make our job easy. Using standard genetic analysis that works for 99% of all other fish, did not work as clearly for AUL's. So our next step is to throw everything at them including the kitchen sink and use a new technique called next Gen (SNP) sequencing which will open up much more of the genome to understand how the different populations stand genetically.
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0121858
This article is free to access so you can read the whole thing.

We have a meeting this coming week bringing together 10 researchers working on a large research effort to know how vulnerable AUL's are to extinction. Will provide more feedback on ageing wild fish soon, as well as some work to understand their diet In the wild and how often they seem to breed in the wild.
David

KuhliaFan

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
Brisbane West
A bit of exiting news for AUL fans. They have a small piece of the centre stage on a new production from ICON films who produce River Monsters. Jeremy from River Monsters has a new 2hr show tracing the linkages of living ancient fish back to the rhizodont. Here's a link to the clip on Australian lungfish that I was lucky enough to help the film crew catch a few and film this piece.
http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/river-monsters/videos/river-monsters-lungfish/
Unfortunately we have to wait for a release date but it appears in the USA this weekend I think.
David

KuhliaFan

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
Brisbane West
Egon, wow how time flies. We processed your scales and unfortunately, the results were great. What we are finding with captive-raised fish is that the artificial feeds many people use typically contain old marine carbon sources which affect the radiocarbon dating method. We are writing up the results of the research now so given a few months for the publication process to proceed i will post it up. Thanks so much for helping us out. I'll send you some photos of what your scale went through in the lab.

Reactions: Cowturtle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store