semi aggresive cichlids?

foxypleco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
Hither and Yon
forgive me this seems like a stupid question but are there any cichlids (not angelfish or discus) that are mild tempered enough to go in a semi-aggressive tank?ive heard of a peacful cichlid called a earthmover or something but cant find one at any of my lfs.somebody told me that if i introduced a yellow lab (electric yellow cichlid) as the smallest member of the tank than it should work out,but the blues are more aggressive.any suggestions for a semi aggresive tank would be welcome,but preferably a cichlid that can keep the others under control without killing them.the tank in question is 75 gallons and its where i put all my fish who turn out to be peices of crap,in the sense that they become violent in one way or another.
right nowi have an angel fish who went berserk and started killing his tankmates after his mate died,and he bites fingers.
a gourami that will harass any fish that wont defend itself untill the fish starves or dies from stress or a stress related disease.
a betta who grew up in a tank with 2 kribinsis and 2 convicts until he laid a royal beating down on one convict.
an african butterfly fish that wil try to eat anything that looks like it might be to big to eat,including fingers and digital thermometer probes and sometimes a betta.

dougefresh

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Delaware
Bolivian or German rams are semi-agressive........unless you're looking for african cichlids then I don't know..............

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
I had rams in a semi-agressive tanks and they didnt hold up well.... that was both german and bolivian neither of those worked out well...

revkkoolaid

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2005
Space City, TeXas
www.myspace.com
foxypleco said:
ive heard of a peacful cichlid called a earthmover .
I think thats a synonym for Satanoperca jurapari or Devilfish(formerly Geophagus jurapari >Geophagus meaning "eartheater".) And from my experience they are not peaceful. They shred green terrors all the time at work.

dougefresh

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Delaware
Ash said:
I had rams in a semi-agressive tanks and they didnt hold up well.... that was both german and bolivian neither of those worked out well...
yea i see what you're saying but he said he's putting these cichlids in with a gourami, a angel, and a betta, and if you read his sig it says he already has apistos in the same tank........aren't they just as agressive as rams? I would go bolivian rams because they are hardier then the germans..........

foxypleco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
Hither and Yon
i have two 75's. my apistos are in my community tank.sorry for the confusion,i guess i better check my signature to make sure i have that seperated.another cichlid that was suggested to me today was the turqoise jewl cichlid.or the keyhole cichlid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store