senegal bichir has red fins?

SpinalTea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2019
thanks to everyone so far!as soon as i get home ill do a large water change and try to get more info on my setup- im not the most knowledgeable and forget things easily.
im trying my best but its difficult without a car or anything of the sort; im going to buy a test kit on monday and ill try and find where to buy the (antibiotics?medicine?) that someone had mentioned! if theres anything else then please dont hesitate to bring it up!!
im atleast fairly confident that the other 3 are siamese flying fox and not chinese algae eaters but i could be wrong?

SpinalTea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2019
Could be septicemia. Is the Senegalus acting ok? Get ur water checked ASAP. Would get ur hands on some maracyn2 or kanamycin.
hello sorry if youre busy!im about home and about to do a water change, if it were ammonia poisoning would the red clear up quickly and rule out septicemia once its changed? or if not, should i get anything else to treat for septicemia other than maracyn2 when i go to petsmart tonight (gonna get water tested and buy strips)? i have a 20 gallon tank with an about 3in. albino sen bichir who i can move into the big one if i need to kinda 'hospitalize' her for as long as necessary if needed.

SpinalTea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2019
red fins are a sign of ammonia poisoning. do you test your water ? what kit do you use? what filter and how do you clean it? we need more info on this to help properly.
I would suggest a large water change to start with.
just did a water change, the filter i use is a fluval aquaclear 60-110 gal

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Do you have a prefilter sponge on the intake? If not the bottom layer on the filter collects a LOT of crud. Slacking in water changes usually means slacking on filter maintainance as well.

SpinalTea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2019
Do you have a prefilter sponge on the intake? If not the bottom layer on the filter collects a LOT of crud. Slacking in water changes usually means slacking on filter maintainance as well.
i do- probably time to change the media in it though so add that on my stuff to buy today yea?

Reactions: Zanzag

SpinalTea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2019
Honestly I never really change media. I just rinse it out in a bucket of tank water
well that i can do too- just got my (already changed) water checked at petsmart, everything came back fine (probably shouldve gotten the old water checked my bad), bought new filter media and got an all in one lifeguard treatment?no idea if thats any good, if not i can return it and buy some good stuff too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store