Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
0-15 (depends on the day, the algae crashed recently)
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
~10-15
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hey,

So we have a pretty chill tank that functions well. Just before this, the ammonia was at like 15 ppm, nitrites at 0 and nitrates at like 10. The reason for the slight imbalance is our algae decided to die off. It tends to cycle from around 10-15 to 0 between tests. The bichir is well established, but we added a few floating plants cause he likes to lurk. It was just a bit of duck weed, since we don't really have the bioload or light to support other plants. This is a 45 gallon tank with a small male senegal bichir (7ish inches), 1 bronze corydora (I can't explain it but he and the bichirs are buddies) and two pictus cats. We also have 3-4 nerite snails and 4 cone snails.

The day before his bloat he was given frozen bloodworms and bit at the duckweed a bit. After eating he was laying on the bottom, but that's completely normal behaviour for him. I noticed the cucumber, which is rarely put in for the snails, had grown a bit of bacteria overnight. Not normally something I would worry about. The bichir was found floating at the top. He is still alert and can swim, just can't seem to sink. We have dosed for two days with Maracyn 2 and epsom salts. The water has turned milky overnight after the first dose of Maracyn 2. Apparently he pooped this morning. His normal diet is new life spectrum medium fish pellets.

Is this dropsy and what is the timeframe for this? Do we need different meds?

20221209_164350.jpg

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey,

So we have a pretty chill tank that functions well. Just before this, the ammonia was at like 15 ppm, nitrites at 0 and nitrates at like 10. The reason for the slight imbalance is our algae decided to die off. It tends to cycle from around 10-15 to 0 between tests. The bichir is well established, but we added a few floating plants cause he likes to lurk. It was just a bit of duck weed, since we don't really have the bioload or light to support other plants. This is a 45 gallon tank with a small male senegal bichir (7ish inches), 1 bronze corydora (I can't explain it but he and the bichirs are buddies) and two pictus cats. We also have 3-4 nerite snails and 4 cone snails.

The day before his bloat he was given frozen bloodworms and bit at the duckweed a bit. After eating he was laying on the bottom, but that's completely normal behaviour for him. I noticed the cucumber, which is rarely put in for the snails, had grown a bit of bacteria overnight. Not normally something I would worry about. The bichir was found floating at the top. He is still alert and can swim, just can't seem to sink. We have dosed for two days with Maracyn 2 and epsom salts. The water has turned milky overnight after the first dose of Maracyn 2. Apparently he pooped this morning. His normal diet is new life spectrum medium fish pellets.

Is this dropsy and what is the timeframe for this? Do we need different meds?

View attachment 1508474
Possibly trapped air.

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Give time hopefully senegal releases it.
It has been about 3 days. There are no other signs of issues. We are gonna finish the course of maracyn 2 to be safe. Can I do anything to help him beyond the salt and meds?

I forgot to mention the water is kept at around 79F. We also had a massive pressure change in Calgary. We literally went from -20C outside to 2C. The timing is pretty close to when this started.

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It has been about 3 days. There are no other signs of issues. We are gonna finish the course of maracyn 2 to be safe. Can I do anything to help him beyond the salt and meds?

I forgot to mention the water is kept at around 79F. We also had a massive pressure change in Calgary. We literally went from -20C outside to 2C. The timing is pretty close to when this started.
Not much else can be done except wait. Can always take it to the vet.

Reactions: Ponera and tlindsey

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
inflated lung close up 2 modified.jpg

Well Chips died. I did an autopsy because he simply would not sink and, sure enough, his left lung was STILL inflated. Everything looked fine (I've got a biology degree with experience dissecting fish) except for some ominous dark patches on the lung that kept re-inflating even when punctured.

Sad, but neat.

• Sad
Reactions: tlindsey and deeda

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Sorry for your loss but great pic on the dissection.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store