Senegal white tail tips

sajica

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Here
In the last couple of weeks both my Senegals have developed these white tips on their tails. My first thought is some fin nipping going on but the tail still looks in tact other than the colour.
Tank mates are a few young carpintis cichlids and a small kissing gourami. All the mentioned tank mates are only temporary until they put on a little more size.
Other thought if the gourami was sucking slimecoat but havent seen it happening and thought patches would show elsewhere.
Both bichirs are roughly 15cm long.
Tank is 285L
25.6C
ammonia 0
nitrate 10ppm
ph 7
water is fairly soft at around 5dgh

Any idea what it may be?

B53695DD-E48A-4C8A-AF1C-710C0C9D210D.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Could be from scraping against decor. Should heal up with some food and water changes.

Reactions: tlindsey

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
In the last couple of weeks both my Senegals have developed these white tips on their tails. My first thought is some fin nipping going on but the tail still looks in tact other than the colour.
Tank mates are a few young carpintis cichlids and a small kissing gourami. All the mentioned tank mates are only temporary until they put on a little more size.
Other thought if the gourami was sucking slimecoat but havent seen it happening and thought patches would show elsewhere.
Tank is 285L
25.6C
ammonia 0
nitrate 10ppm
ph 7

Any idea what it may be?

View attachment 1475814
Looks like slight fin tear

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Tank is 285L
25.6C
ammonia 0
nitrate 10ppm
ph 7

Any idea what it may be?

View attachment 1475814
Looks like slight fin tear
I was thinking the same. Keep your eye on the juvenile Carpintis possibly nipping the tails of the Senegals.

sajica

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Here
Thanks, will try moving out the carpintis into another tank with a divider and hopefully heals up quickly. Just hope not something more sinister

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
Doesn't look like anything TOO serious-- I'd say divide as planned and maybe try Melafix, or salt or something. If this is just a regular, minor, injury as suspected, then it shouldn't take long to recover.

sajica

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Here
the white stuff on the fins seem to spread more and up over the dorsal spines.
I treated the tank with tri sulfur for 4 days along with some tea tree oil at a mixture 1ml to 100ml and then dosing the tank at 5ml to 40L and after 4 days things looking heaps better. With an additional waterchange each week should hopefully be back to normal. They also have the tank to themselves now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store