September AND October '09 - King and Koontz

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
I’ve got to play some catch up here because I’ve fallen a month behind on this trivia contest.
So here come September and October monthly trivia contests – all in the same day!
It’s high time that I highlighted a couple of my favorite authors, Stephen King and Dean Koontz.
If you’ve read any number of their works, this could be a lot of fun. If you’re not very familiar with either author’s writing or characters, please don’t go anywhere so fast! This could still be a fun.
While I’ve tried to make these questions a little harder for all those bounders and hackers, the internet still proves to be an endless resource for those who want to dig in.

If I disregard alphabetical order using last names, relying on first names only, that’ll give us Dean Koontz to start things off.
I just learned while doing some research for this entry that he graduated from the same college as I did my undergraduate work at - only he passed through Shippensburg University (then Shippensburg College) a little over 20 years before I did. Very cool concept. I guess that’s because he wasn’t a well known author back then because I don’t recall ever hearing about that while I was attending.

So for September trivia, please see if you can fill in the blanks on the below questions.

First person to email at bigguapote1@verizon.net or PM me with the most (shooting for all) correct answers receives $ 50.00 in free fish.
Let’s keep this open for responses until Wednesday at 12 AM EST (9 PM left coast time). Somehow, I seriously doubt that this will go 100% correctly unanswered through Wednesday night. The MFK community continues to amaze me with the speed and accuracy with which these trivia contests are solved.

#1 Between the pages of a book series, he was created by Victor Frankenstein over 200 years ago. This giant of a man named himself after the son of Prometheus (from Greek mythology). He was constructed using the of flesh criminals buried in a prison graveyard. He has two hearts; one stolen from a church burning mad arsonist, the other from a child molester. Can you say “Abby Normal?!”

#2 Reanimated, alien-possessed crows, squirrels, and raccoons were bad news. But when the corpse of his three years dead and buried wife, Margarite, came knocking at his cabin door, it was all this old man’s heart could take. What was his name (first and last)?

#3 His name is peculiar. He has a ghost dog named Boo. His sleep is frequently interrupted by ghosts. They usually need to show him something important that only they know before they can move on. He’s quite an unforgettable character, but what was the name (first and last please) of his girlfriend?

#4 He’s a nighttime surfing, XP afflicted young man with a dog name Orson - who enjoys a beer or two. But what was the name of the cat, the one who communicated through Roosevelt? This same cat escaped from Wyvern, a secret military base project.

#5 Why o why are clowns so frequently depicted as such awful creatures in horror stories? That's a rhetorical question, not THE question.
So what was the evil clown’s name who Grandpa Josef, lying on his death bed, was warning his son of by making him write down five dates?

#6 These two guys are best friends. Dean Koontz has given them remarkable character and sense of humor. Below is a sample from a partial dialogue between the two. Your mission is to provide the first and last name of each person.

XX XX, my best friend for more than 17 years, has several phone #s. He has given the most private of these to no more than 5 friends, and he answers that line at any hour. I keyed the # and pressed send.
X picked up on the 3rd ring: “This better be important.”
“Were you sleeping?”
“Eating kibby.”
Kibby is Mediterranean cuisine: ground beef, onion, pine nuts, and herbs wrapped in a moist ball of bulgar and quickly deep fried.
“Eating it with what?”
“Cucumbers, tomatoes, some picked turnip.”
“At least I didn’t call when you were having sex.”
“This is worse.”
“You’re way serious about your kibby.”
“So entirely serious.”
“I’ve just been clamshelled,” I said, which is surfer lingo for being enfolded by a large collapsing wave and wiped off your board.
X said, “You at the beach?”
“I’m speaking figuratively.”
“Don’t do that.”
“Sometimes it’s best,” I said, meaning that someone might be tapping his phone.
“I hate this crap.”
“Get used to it, bro.”
“Kibby spoiler.”
“I’m looking for a missing weed.”
A weed is a small person, and the term is usually but not always used as a synonym for grommet, which means a preadolescent surfer.
“Weed?” X asked.
“A totally small weed.”
“You playing Nancy Drew again?”
“In Nancy work up to my neck,” I confirmed.
“Kak,” he said, which along this stretch of coast is not a nice thing for one surfer to call another, though I believe I detected a note of affection in his voice that was almost equal to the disgust.
“I need your help.”
“You can do it yourself. Just stand on a chair, tie a noose around your neck, and jump.”
“Don’t have a chair.”
“Pull the shotgun trigger with your toe.”
“X, if you knew the name of the weed, you’d already be here.”
He sighed. “Bro, how am I ever going to be a fully realized, super maximum, jerk off slacker if you keep insisting I have a conscience?”
“You’re doomed to be responsible.”
“That’s what I’m afraid of.”
“The furry dude is missing too.”
“Citizen Kane?”
“I’m scared for him.”
“I’ll be there.”
“Cool.”
“Where’s there?”
“Dead Town,” I told him.
“Oh, man. You never listen.”
“I’m a bad boy. Come in by the river.”
“The river?”
“There’s a Suburban parked there. Belongs to a mondo psycho, so be careful. The fence is cut.”
“Do I have to creep or can I strut?”
“Sneaky doesn’t matter anymore. Just watch your ass.”
“Dead Town,” he said disgustedly. “What am I going to do with you, young man?”
“No TV for a month?”
“Kak,” he called me again.
“Meet me at the movies.”
“Hang loose,” X said.
“I’m just about untied,” I said thinly.
“That’s too loose.”

Good luck everyone!!

Part Two (or the October portion of this contest). Who better to feature for the October monthly trivia than Stephen King?!

Once again, the first person to email at bigguapote1@verizon.net or PM me with the most (shooting for all) correct answers receives $ 50.00 in free fish.

#1 List the first and last names of the Katet of the 19 & 99.

#2 How did the billy-bumbler get it’s name?

#3 What was the first and last name of Roland’s only true love?

#4 The first part of a book by King is titled after a nickname given to the super flu that results in the death of over 99% of the world's population. What is that super flu called?

#5 What’s another name, or first and last name, of the ‘Walking Dude’?

#6 What was the special talent of ‘Trash can man’?

#7 What was the name (first and last) of the person who opens a store in Castle Rock where the customer can purchase (by unknowingly trading his/her soul) anything they (either conscientiously or unconscientiously) desire?

#8 Some rather odd disturbances (lightning shows, temperature drops) were known to occur around this old car (if that’s what you want to call it – it looked like a specific model of car). Troop D held this ‘car’ in Shed B. What model car was it?

#9 What attacked Jake and Roland in the underground railroad while they tried to pump the railroad car through to the other side of the mountain?

#10 What are the first names of the three women that enter the Dixie Pig (where long pork is the other white meat to eat) in the body of one woman?

Good luck!!

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
BUMP for a fun contest. I know a few of the Stephen King books, but not enough to compete with the speedy people.

Lissaspence

Candiru
MFK Member
May 19, 2009
Illinois
Well crap! I thought I've read every Dean Koonz book out there but I guess not cause I only know the answer to a couple of these questions. I've read some King but I have no idea about any of those questions. I'm bummed now :confused:

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
Lissaspence;3571203; said:
Well crap! I thought I've read every Dean Koonz book out there but I guess not cause I only know the answer to a couple of these questions. I've read some King but I have no idea about any of those questions. I'm bummed now :confused:

Think about Lissa. PM or email after you do that.
I've got some replies, and some fist shaking (at me) about my referring to the Dark Tower series that King wrote.
I'm not sorry though. It's literally out of this world.

Hint: there are undoubtably web sites dedicated to these guys, and even to particular book series they've written.

jgentry

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Gallatin, TN
Sent in my best guess at the Stephen King Trivia. I haven't read much of Dean Koontz stuff so I'll leave it for his fans to try to win. I thought I did pretty good on the stephen King for going only fron memory. I've read most of his stuff and several of them numerous times. One question completely stumped me though. I could be remembering wrong on some others too. I need to go home tonight and do some reading!!! Fun trivia Jeff!! Got me to thinking about a few books I haven't read in 18 years.

HiImSean

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2007
kennesaw, ga
i've only got a few king books under my belt but the Dark Tower Series is amazing. i've made it through the first 3. they're suppose to be doing a movie in the future, JJ Abrams has it so it should be good

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
jmart.cooper;3572240; said:
haha, lol, i named one of my clown loaches after the girl in number 3
Well that's very sweet. Hopefully you won't let any mean witches and townspeople burn her at the stake!

HiImSean;3571764; said:
i've only got a few king books under my belt but the Dark Tower Series is amazing. i've made it through the first 3. they're suppose to be doing a movie in the future, JJ Abrams has it so it should be good
I've always thought that Sam Elliot (at least the Sam Elliot of 20 years ago) would make an awesome Roland!
Roland is timeless and ageless (not to mention a couple fingers and most of a toe short thanks to those lobstrosities - Did-a-chick? Dum-a-chum? Dad-a-cham!).

jgentry

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Gallatin, TN
So who are the avid readers that got all the answers right?

I wouldn't mind seeing a complete answer list either just to see how poorly I did:).

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
Very cool replies everyone!

I was a little concerned when only a few replies had come in after about 24 hours of this contest's start. Maybe I'd gone a little too far on this one? Perhaps MFKers are not big fictional readers in general, or just maybe my taste in authors is not well shared.
So I moved the cut off back another 24 hours to allow more participants to chime in.
Most of the replies still arrived the by original cut off time afterall.

I particularly enjoyed the post reply correspondences with many of you.
Your enthusiasm is contagious.

As the late Ronnie VanZant sang with his band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, "don't ask me 'bout my business.....but if you want to talk fishin', well I guess that'll be alright."

It's so healthy (and often a great relief) to have interests outside of this fishy business. I realize it's my business, while to most of you, this fish thing IS your hobby. Hallelujah and thanks for that. Without each of you, I'd have no business.

The winner of the September contest featuring Dean Koontz character trivia is jmart.cooper ! Congratulations !

Below are his answers:

1. Deucalion

2. Eduardo Fernandez

3. Stormy Llewellyn

4. Mungojerrie

5. Konrad Beezo

6. Bobby Halloway and Christopher Snow

Incidentally, we had another 100% correct response to the Dean Koontz character questions from snookie. However, snookie already won a contest this year. He displayed awesome knowledge of Beatle's lyrics in a previous month's contest.

I received more replies in response to the Stephen King trivia questions.

The winner of the October contest featuring Stephen King character trivia is dysfunctionaljd! Congratulations !

Below are his correct answers:

#1 Roland Deschain, Eddie Dean, Susannah Dean, Oy, Jake Chambers, and Donald "Pere" Callahan.

Roland's previous ka-tet included himself, Cuthbert Allgood, Jamie De Curry, and Alain Johns.

#2 Jake simply called him "boy", which the bumbler parroted as "Oy", and the name stuck.

#3 Susan Delgado

#4 Captain Trips

#5 Randall Flagg

#6 talented with explosvies

#7 Leland Gaunt

#8 1954 Buick Roadmaster

#9 Slow Mutants

#10 Odetta Susannah Holmes, Detta Susannah Walker, and Mia

Honorable mention to our runner up on the King trivia goes to jgentry.
His memory of the characters and details from books he read many years ago proved to be extraordinary.

Thanks again for all of your continued support!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store