Serious Help

RobD23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
The Rex
Having alot of trouble with my Fahaka , he looks very sluggish and the other fish in the tank seem fine...i have them eating krill, brine shrimp and some colouration pellets, and rarely guppies...But he definately doesn't look good at all, he seems to have flaking of the skin just like my last puffer ...ne sugguestions
:confused:

RobD23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
The Rex
Oddball said:
Does he seem swollen to you? I realize it's difficult to tell with puffers. Any recent tankmate additions in the last 2 weeks? Any live feeders in the last 2 weeks?

well actually he's the only addition to the tank in the last two weeks i have a redtail wolf and a huge goldfish that was originally suppose to be food for the wolf about 5 months ago bout they seemed to get along. now it's about 3'' and really fat. But anyways no, he's eating well, krill and brine shrimp mostly.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
My fahakas prefer water fairly high up on the alkaline side (pH 7.5 and above). You might want to check your levels. Both of mine have substrates of 1/2 pea gravel and aragonite gravel. I also keep limestone blocks (Texas holey rock) in their tanks. Does your puffer have a cave he can call his own? Or, does he get forced into the open by your wolf? And, when was the last water change on that tank? Puffers (and goldfish) put out a massive load of wastes that require frequent water changes.

clare

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2005
Grimsby, England
As odball stated water quality is of paramount importance with puffers.Is the tank fully mature(preferably 6 months) and does where you got him from keep similar water to you.Also check if it is flaking skin or heavy slime coat.Ours often slime up and get covered in sand making them look like there shedding.Try feeding snails small pieces of prawn cockle and mussel.Fahakas are not social fish and when small can be intimidated and stressed by other fish.usually at some point they will turn on tankmates and were not talking fin nipping with this guy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store