Setting up a 75 for a baby Oscar...tank mates?

craqerjaq

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
I know this is a controversial topic, but is there anything I can keep in the tank with minimal chance of issue? This is not a grow out tank and I don't have an opportunity to own a larger tank than this 75...I'm stuck with this size unless I miraculously get a significant pay raise and can afford a new place to live ??. Maybe bitcoin will reach those 6 figure values people have been speculating ??

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
An Oscar in a 75 is doable but it really should be alone in so small a tank due to how much waste they produce.
You may want to look into jack dempsey or chocolate cichlid. Both stay smaller than the Oscar and are full of personality as well.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Chocolate cichlid has more personality than a JD.

Another option is a male green terror. Has similar personality to an oscar

Reactions: Deadeye

craqerjaq

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
An Oscar in a 75 is doable but it really should be alone in so small a tank due to how much waste they produce.
You may want to look into jack dempsey or chocolate cichlid. Both stay smaller than the Oscar and are full of personality as well.
I will be heavily over-filtrated if that matters. I have a Fluval 405, a 2 1/2ft X 4" PCV diy canister, and I'll be throwing a large sponge filter in just to seed it in case I need to run a smaller tank.

craqerjaq

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
Chocolate cichlid has more personality than a JD.

Another option is a male green terror. Has similar personality to an oscar
I've heard terrors would be problematic due to their aggression...? But they look amazing so that would be a desired one.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I've heard terrors would be problematic due to their aggression...? But they look amazing so that would be a desired one.
Electric blue acara is a close relative to a gt, its smaller and more peaceful.
Really any of the large cichlids are best as a single pet with maybe a school of dithers (no guarantees for whether the cichlid eats it or not).

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
It's 50/50 on aggression but it is not an issue if the only tankmates in the 75g are dithers that cannot be eaten. No other cichlid.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

craqerjaq

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
What about a bottom feeder to help clean up excess food that falls to the bottom? I've been back and forth on a pleco (common or sailfin) but they would end up producing a lot of waste once they get bigger so idk. In my mind I'm thinking of having 3 fish total...not really interested in any schooling fish...just the oscar, and a couple smaller mates that'll get along.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Oscars are messy eaters so something to eat food scraps would be good.

If you're good with find a new home for the fish other than the oscar as it gets bigger, I'd get a group of filament or similar barbs - fast, big enough to not get eaten and attractive.

craqerjaq

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
Oscars are messy eaters so something to eat food scraps would be good.

If you're good with find a new home for the fish other than the oscar as it gets bigger, I'd get a group of filament or similar barbs - fast, big enough to not get eaten and attractive.
Not following what you're saying. I don't want to have to rehome fish...I just want to have a few fish to keep together. Maybe a few years down the road I could upgrade the tank, but there are a lot of factors preventing that right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store