MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Thanks for the advice, would you recommend mixing black and white? Or stick with just white and add things to it?
I would stick with the white and add a little natural gravel,twigs and leaf litter.
Your fish will still colour up if they feel secure.Giving your fish adequate cover from above and lots of shelter will do more for your fishes colour than a dark substrate alone.

TheNewSeverum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Winter Springs
I guess I'll have to go to some rivers and see whats down there lol, I am assuming all wood and rocks should be properly boiled and cleaned before being added to the tank correct?

Reactions: J. H.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I guess I'll have to go to some rivers and see whats down there lol, I am assuming all wood and rocks should be properly boiled and cleaned before being added to the tank correct?
I just give them a good scrub and hose them down.
I collect my own wood when walking the dog.
Oak,beech hawthorn and apple tree branches are all suitable.
Ensure they are completely dead and free from rot and your good to go.

Reactions: J. H.

TheNewSeverum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Winter Springs
Well yeah I figured those wouldn't be good at all lol I'm sure there are oak trees somewhere. I'll have to look around.

TheNewSeverum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Winter Springs
It looks like theres a lot of species of oak down here. Would that be the most recommended or are there kinds I shouldn't use? Also will these sink or do I have to waterlog them like everything else?

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
It looks like theres a lot of species of oak down here. Would that be the most recommended or are there kinds I shouldn't use? Also will these sink or do I have to waterlog them like everything else?
I think any species of oak will be ok. It depends on the individual piece as to whether or not you'll need to waterlog it before it will sink. Boiling will speed up the process if you have a big enough pot.

As for the sand, I wouldn't mix the black and white together if you want a natural look. Look for something more natural like play sand or river sand (beach sand will have high shell content and might increase the mineral content of the water, not ideal for SA fish). Check out the builders sand at your local hardware store, I guess it varies depending on where you live, but the stuff we get here is $6 a 25kg bag and perfect for a natural looking substrate.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
All oak is safe as long as it is dead.
Try to collect branches that have fallen from the tree that have dried out thoroughly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store