setting up my first monster tank

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
So that you know there is something called a fishless cycle for your tank. I am trying it right now on a small indoor pond. I have read in several threads to go out and buy industrial strength ammonia and add some to your water till your test kit indicates that the ammonia levels are high, and then wait for it to cycle without fish. I (being a cheap skate) went with an ammonia source that is readily availible to everyone! I won't mention what it is, but I think you will figure it out the next time you go and pee! I'll post how this works. So far the ammonia levels are high like a new tank stocked with lots of fish, and the nitrite level is comming up. So this must actually be working. I have had it set up for about a week now. Hope this helps.

crazy_cavi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2005
saskatoon canada
hahah thats awesome man, i dont think ill be doing that tho, im pretty et up for starting the cycle i have a fluval canister filter running currently on my 55gallon oscar tank theres plenty of bacteria in their so i think i would prefer the smell better since i dont use carbon in my filters
thanks for the info man,

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
np, let us know how it turns out and post some pics ;)

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
The problem with sand is that it gets into filters, silica abrasives are just that, abrasive, it should not be used for fish that burrow, Beadblasting media (glass) is a nice alternative using a fairly coarse grain (1/32-1/16"). Sand, gravel, orglass bead, you will need about a cubic foot for a 1 1/2" layer in a 48"x 24" tank, That is right about 100 lbs (dry) of sand or fine gravel.

jusmad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2006
Honolulu HI
You should add Undergravel Jets under your substrate. I installed two systems with four jets each and my substrate has never been cleaner. I have a 180g tank with oscar. They are messy fish but with the UGJ the tank is much cleaner than before. There is a thread in the DIY section of www.cichlid-forum.com that will explain how to make them. The materials are PVC which is relatively cheap and all you need are two powerhead.

Aloha

Justin

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store