Setting up my first saltie

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
It's refreshing to see someone take their time and not make dumb decisions about his tank

Sent from my HTC One V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Also, to get your ph up you could raise your salinity to 1.024, that will add more nutrients and buffer the ph.

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
Tested everything again, and also made some more slight changes to the rockwork. Levels are still the same so I added some ammonia to see how quickly it's converted. It should go quickly since the rock is from a well established tank, and I am also already getting some skimmate too.

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
I'm reading NH4 now, but no NO2 or NO3 yet as to be expected. My NH4 is 1.0, I know it should be higher to cycle but since I already have inverts I don't want it to get too high and kill them. Should I raise it anymore or leave it at this level?

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
I'm reading NH4 now, but no NO2 or NO3 yet as to be expected. My NH4 is 1.0, I know it should be higher to cycle but since I already have inverts I don't want it to get too high and kill them. Should I raise it anymore or leave it at this level?
NH3 is ammonia :) how far into the cycle are you and what inverts did you buy? You may have bought tank inhabitants too early. About the only thing I would buy would be blue leg hermit crabs while you are showing ammonia or nitrates. Those things are indestructible.

Sent from my HTC One V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
That's what I meant NH3 not NH4, sorry it's been a very long month+. I didn't buy any but picked up two astrea snails as hitchhikers on my live rock. I don't plan on adding anything else until the cycle is fully complete and that will be a CUC from reefcleaners.org.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store