Setting up my second loach tank.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Inspired by Martin Thoene's excellent write up on how he set his up: https://www.loaches.com/articles/my-clown-loach-aquarium
In this thread will be the following, as listed here:

-The backstory of how the tank came to be.
-A 'before' picture of the (as-is unsuitable for loaches) tank (will come later today).
-An 'after' picture, when the tank's issues are fixed (will come in the next few weeks).
-A 'ready-for-fish' picture with the water, decor, etc (don't expect this until July-August 2022).
-Pictures of the new fish (don't expect this until July-August 2022).
-Pictures of the fish settled in (don't expect this until July-September 2022).

The backstory:

A good time had finally come to upgrade my existing clown loaches and their tankmates out of their growout and into a permanent 473 liter tank. Naturally, I was wanting some more fish with a bigger tank, but was not aware of AqAdvisor and the like at the time so had to go to the local aquarium store to ask.
Looking back on it, it's very unsurprising that 6 zebra loaches, 6 yoyo loaches, 6 Burmese loaches, 3 weather loaches, 6 roseline sharks, and a red tailed shark would overstock a 473 liter if they were kept with my clown loaches and tankmates, although at the time I left the store somewhat dejected (but undeterred).

When the plans were layed out and it came time to go on the hunt for a 473 liter tank, I was very.....enthusiastic with replying to ads.
So much so that, long story short, I ended up applying to multiple and was unable to back out of them all, leaving me with the purchase of 2 tanks. My cousin who lives with me was not at all happy about having a pair of 473 liter tanks (he wasn't even particularly happy about having 1), so he was absolutely shocked when I ended up having to bring both home and insisted upon selling the 2nd one.
He was very insistent that I shouldn't have jumped at so many ads, and I jokingly implied that maybe I should have all the other loaches and sharks that I wanted in it. Little did I know how things would become.....

For some time beforehand, however, my cousin wanted me to go on an international vacation with him. I am not very interested in international vacations plus I had lost fish to a vacation before and didn't want it to happen again, so I couldn't think of much to make a deal with.
We eventually decided on a 1 week international vacation with him being enough for me to keep a 2nd 473 liter, although he wanted to sell the 1st one because he did not like the stand and neither of us had much experience. It was a deal (and this vacation is why you won't be seeing the fish until July-August 2022, I'm not getting them until after I return to prevent hiccups from killing them).

As time passed, the aquarium would not sell. My cousin noticed this, and came to agree with my occasional proposals between then and now that we should just keep the tank instead of sell it and get a new one, having done research on how to convert salt to fresh.

And that's how it came to be that I have a pair of 473 liter tanks. Stay tuned for images.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Here is the tank. I am going to have to remove that overflow, plug the overflow hole, and scrape the black paint off the back.

Reactions: cockroach

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Look forward to watching this thread and the updates. That's a great size tank.

What fish are you planning on keeping and layout are you planning on?

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Thank you for the compliment! I plan on having the following (listed in the 'about' section of my profile):

-6x Burmese loach
-3x weather loach
-6x yoyo loach
-6x zebra loach
-6x striped kuhli loach
-6x roseline shark
-1x red tailed shark
-12x tiger barb

The layout will be a bare bottom with 'natural' caves, fake plants, and possibly some wood, designed to broadly resemble Indo-Malaya since that's where all the fish are from. I expect it to look something like this but minus the substrate.
1632964326597.png

Reactions: cockroach

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I don't plan on using any circulation pump/powerhead/etc. This is primarily because of the weather and kuhli loaches, which would not appreciate much flow.

Reactions: ..puSkar..

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Oh my bad. I thought you were creating a tank similar to the loaches. com link you provided.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Heads up on stocking: if my existing pictus catfish doesn't stop being feisty towards my existing clown loaches after I add more caves to their tank, I'll probably swap it and the zebra loaches between the 2 tanks (after the other fish get some size on them, of course). So it's possible the stocking between the existing tank and the planned tank could change up a bit.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
After several broken Swiss army knives, hours of agonizing silicone slicing, trips to Home Depot, and a couple of cuts from sharp plastic, I finally have something to show for it. Here's the trophy overflow, removed from the tank at last.

What a relief!

Reactions: xenacanth9
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store