Severe confusing on OB peacocks

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
This has been debated for years. Not OB topic but hybridized vs pure.
I believe most people are accepting of hybrids. The problem comes in when these are dumped back into the fish keeping trade without Full disclosure about what they truly are.
The purest “poo poo” because all these fish with different genetics get into the hobby and dilute the pure strain.

jcarson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2018
Las Vegas Nevada
www.instagram.com
I said that because it seems people shy away from hybrids. U tube is full of self proclaimed experts (of the regurgitation variety.....) that seem to Pooh Pooh hybrid cichlids. I have been seeing some truly beautiful hybrids that are “one of a kinds”. I’m not sure why anyone would shy away from them. I get the part about loosing specializations but is it really tha bad for tanked fish in the new world.

Dogs are bread for specializations and the award winners are pure and mostly age old breeds. However, there are still new breed being developed.
For me personally and this is a good example.....

I purchased several fish that were supposedly guaranteed male but only to find recently that a few of them were holding.

I did not want to strip or segregate the females as I was unsure of the males whom have impregnated them. (Yes very curious) but now I know I have females of these fish whom I have yet to id.

I love the idea of hybrids and look forward to seeing what happens when I get further and deeper into this hobby and to seeing what becomes of my fish community.

I know this is my fault for buying the same species of fish but from different parts of the lake or different variants of the same species.

But I also believe in purity of the strains.
I dont want the genetic integrity of our fish to be jeopardized by irresponsible keeping.

I want my grandkids to able to have available to them the same fish I kept as a child and so forth.

I love my hybrids and I also value the purity.

Btw the 2 fish I suspect of spawning was a
male LABIDOCHROMIS HONGI and a female LABIDOCHROMIS MBAMBA

Last edited:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I said that because it seems people shy away from hybrids. U tube is full of self proclaimed experts (of the regurgitation variety.....) that seem to Pooh Pooh hybrid cichlids. I have been seeing some truly beautiful hybrids that are “one of a kinds”. I’m not sure why anyone would shy away from them

This thread was in no way shape or form any type of anti-hybrid discussion. I think the only person that was missing something here, was you.

aae0130

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
This thread was in no way shape or form any type of anti-hybrid discussion. I think the only person that was missing something here, was you.
You are correct.......being somewhat of a noob I get excited easily.......

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
LOL, no worries. I just didn't want anyone to get the impression that I am anti-hybrids, I'm not. I have kept several hybrids over the years, (including OB peacocks) and currently own a female KKP.

I am only against people selling fish, as something they are not. A common occurrence in the cichlid world, especially African cichlids.

Reactions: jcarson
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store