Severely injured gsp

Carter020108

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2018
I have a 55 gallon saltwater with 2 gsps, tomato clown, mono sebae, blue yellowtail damsel, and saddleback fugu they have gotten along for a couple of months now until around 8 -9 pm last night where the fugu went crazy and attacked and severely damaged one of the gsps I turned off the lights and put in a lot of shrimp to see if he would make it to the morning he did and is not floating but won’t eat any suggestions on what to do.5983C596-C60F-48DC-9327-0557D5270647.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: xenacanth9

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Clean water and reduce stress. I’d try and dab that area with some methylene blue. Fat Homer Fat Homer

Carter020108

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2018
The fugu is gone and currently with my friend I will take your advice and Dan it with methylene blue

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
I have a 55 gallon saltwater with 2 gsps, tomato clown, mono sebae, blue yellowtail damsel, and saddleback fugu they have gotten along for a couple of months now until around 8 -9 pm last night where the fugu went crazy and attacked and severely damaged one of the gsps I turned off the lights and put in a lot of shrimp to see if he would make it to the morning he did and is not floating but won’t eat any suggestions on what to do.View attachment 1473798
Even if it survives it’s tail won’t grow back, seems like the ‘roots’ of the tail are already serverly destroyed

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Will it be able to live without a tail
Maybe, but it will have to be on its own from now on. Puffers rely heavily on the tail and anal/dorsal fins for hovering/steering (like an underwater helicopter). It will be unable to compete with the others if it survives. The flesh should grow back but I doubt the caudal fin wil. Maybe the dorsal will come back.

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
☹
It's safe to say your fish will at the very least be badly disabled from now on. It was a good move getting rid of the fugu, but your GSP might not make it unless extreme care is taken. I generally agree with this other advice. I've never personally had anything like this happen to any of my many puffers, so I might not have the BEST advice, but if it helps. If he doesn't make it, sorry for your loss in advance

Reactions: Deadeye

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Tough break, sadly not much you can do other than what was advised already…

if you are extremely lucky he may grow back some of the fin but as other mentioned its unlikely… basically if he pulls through he’ll likely need to live alone to be safe…

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store