Severum and Oscar

ryan10290

Feeder Fish
May 23, 2020
I have recently lost my Oscar and going to be getting a new one soon, but I would like to get a Red Severum with him. I know a Severum will grow much slower than the Oscar, so I'm curious if I should add the severum before an oscar. Both will be small. They will be going into a 75 gallon with an FX6 and will be the only fish, later on moved to my larger tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Severum will grow much slower and max out much smaller. Best to get it as early as possible. Give it time to grow up to a decent size first.

ryan10290

Feeder Fish
May 23, 2020
Severum will grow much slower and max out much smaller. Best to get it as early as possible. Give it time to grow up to a decent size first.
What size would you recommend the severum being? The oscar will be 2.5 to 3 inches when I get him. I've never kept a severum before due to the fish I kept being too agressive, but I'd like to now that I have the chance.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have recently lost my Oscar and going to be getting a new one soon, but I would like to get a Red Severum with him. I know a Severum will grow much slower than the Oscar, so I'm curious if I should add the severum before an oscar. Both will be small. They will be going into a 75 gallon with an FX6 and will be the only fish, later on moved to my larger tank.
ryansmith83 ryansmith83

Reactions: kno4te

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
IMO, as long as the Oscar & Severum are both introduced into the tank as equal sized juveniles, likely no problem.
Realistically, a 75 gal. tank will soon be too small for a young adult Oscar. At some point a tank upgrade will be warranted. Changes, if any, in the tankmate situation will have to be evaluated as things progress.

ryan10290

Feeder Fish
May 23, 2020
IMO, as long as the Oscar & Severum are both introduced into the tank as equal sized juveniles, likely no problem.
Realistically, a 75 gal. tank will soon be too small for a young adult Oscar. At some point a tank upgrade will be warranted. Changes, if any, in the tankmate situation will have to be evaluated as things progress.
The Oscar may be slightly larger than the Severum, but not by much. Both will be juveniles, the size will depend on what my local store can get for a juvenile Red Severum but the Oscars they have are around 3 inches. I have a 250 gallon which I kept my large Oscar in before he passed along with 2 jack Dempsey's and my pleco. I no longer have the Jack Dempseys, so that wont be an issue. Only reason they will be in a 75 gallon for now, is because I took in my friends 3 Oscar's while she looks for a proper tank. Long story short, she refused to listen when I said 100 gallons wasn't enough and got them anyway.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Severums do grow slower than Oscars but I wouldn’t consider them a slow grower. Mine went from 2” to 5.5” in 4.5 months. I think you’ll be ok in the 75 for a while as long as you have something bigger as a definite plan. Just give the severum a little head start on the Oscar as far as size and I think you’re good.

ydnim

Exodon
MFK Member
May 24, 2020
If you're getting them both around the same size when introducing them as juveniles it should be okay, just be very cautious when the Oscar gets about 2x's the size of the Red Severum.... as long as they continue to not conflict in any way, you should be good to go :thumbsup:

Reactions: Joshuakahan
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store